Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only been ice fishing once when i was a kid ...what are the safety precations to take before hitting the ice...I would really like to start this year just dont want to fall in the ice ....I remeber when I went you could hear the ice crack and it creeped me out

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
4" of ice is pretty safe for an average person. I like 6-8" myself.

The thing to keep in mind is that the thinner the ice the more a slight variability in thickness will affect it. 1/2" change in 2" is 25% variability whereas a 1/2" change in 8" is only a 6% variability. Once it gets beyond 8" don't even think about the cracking sounds - that's just the ice getting thicker and buckling under it's own pressure (this is what forms pressure ridges in areas of weakness). The warming causeed by sunlight also causes the ice to talk.

When in doubt, drill test holes periodically and avoid fishing near inlets or over channels during the early season. The reason is that the water is slightly warmer in the channel so the ice may be thinner over it.

Man, I could go on and on about hardwater but I'm gonna stop here. I just dropped a line to Ken about adding a hardwater forum and he says it's on his way so keep your eyes peeled for that. There are a lot of hardwater veterans on this forum and there's a lot to learn from them!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ...I just dont want to be the 6'5 guy tippy toe'in out on the ice cause im scared ...hahahahh

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TL said:
. I just dropped a line to Ken about adding a hardwater forum and he says it's on his way so keep your eyes peeled for that.  There are a lot of hardwater veterans on this forum and there's a lot to learn from them!
You're the man.  That would be awesome.  I've fished many a day on the ice on the Mississippi & was wondering what the diff's between that big ol cloudy river & the res. out here.  To me it seems like out here it's more like Minn. & Canada as far as icefishin' goes (big fish & bigger gear).  The only thing that bothers me is the sun & the closer it is to us.  Is that something to worry about, & do the res. post signs when danger is present.  I know some res. have signs that say no icefishin', because of this.  I would be happy to hear some advice on gear, as well as tackle.  I'm thinking most of my ice fishing will be @ 11 mile so any input on that body of water would be beneficial as well.  Thanks guys & good lookin' on the ice fishing board.  I owe you some cool ones.

All the Best,

TL  
late season 11 mile will have 20+ inches of ice.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I used to ice fish in Nebraska because it was the only game in town.  I always went with some one and we always carried rope on the ice sled.  I have fallen through and I watched a buddy fall through.  My buddiy shot out of there like a peguin it took a little more work with me but not much.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i have seen when the dow has stated one way or the other but with how bad the fishing reports are i wouldnt trust them i might follow the reports for a general idea and if fishing the ice early for your area i would drill a test hole close to shore and if it was less then 6" i would drill test holes every 10-20" as i went out checking for varyibg thickness if in doubt i wear my neopreen waders and a life vest on the way out that way if i go thru i got a fighting chance i also carry those ice claws to help crawl out after a few trips and the ice thickens i dont wory about it on my home lake till it starts to warm up in the spring but im usualy dealing with 18-20" of ice most of the season now if i go to a new lake i allways drill a test holelike 20 ft from shore NO exceptions if i got better than a foot of ice then i head out and set up less than that and im real careful looking at the ice if i get around some cloudy ice ill drill some test hole just to be safe it doesnt take much of an underwater current or spring to signifigantly affect the thickness

best to go with a buddy so you got help incase of a prob. some good saftey precausions would be to carry extrra close and a towel in your vehicle you hate to fall thru pull off a self rescue and freeze while you wait for your tuck to warm up and mostlikely might save a day of fishing, once i was icefishing and the water was over the hole and we were walking in a couple inches of slush well i took a header and got soaked i froze my @$$ off on the walk to the truck but was able to strip down towel off put on some dry cloths and keep fishing good to keep a ladder or a couple sheets of ply in the back of the truck and some rope just in case

and just cause you see tracks going out on the lake or can see some set up out there dont get lax it may be border line and they may just be lucky or have been drilling test holes and early i like to stay spread out from my buddy for 2 reasons first to distribute the load on the ice and you dont want to bust thru at the same time and if you do get caught out on thin ice and relize its time to bail dont take any chances get on your belly and squirm your way back to safe ice

you can call the local fishing shops around what ever lake your thinking about for general info but test it once your there

id rather be the "sissy" tip toeing out the ice rather then the guy struggling to claw my way back up on the ice!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Ice fishing is very safe, a lot more safe then people who don't understand it make it out to be. The thinnest ice I have ever gone out on was 3.5". That ice can hold a 500 pound man. Ideally, I like at least 4.5".
Drilling holes with your auger when in doubt is a good plan. Watch the shorelines when the temperatures are high or when a lot of water is coming in.
I've never broken through or seen anyone else break through. The main thing with that is making sure first ice is at least 3.5", and not going out on spring ice that is beginning to rot, no matter how thick it is.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
One thing to avoid early in the season is fishing around submerged trees or thick weed beds. These will produce I think CO2 and the bubbles make the ice thinner than areas without trees or thick weed beds.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
also stay away from partialy submerged brush as the ice will be weaker there to

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
TL - you'll love 11 Mile once the lid is on. The ice can grow 2-4"/week in the early season. On the other hand it can be a foot thick one week and then get a coupla days of strong wind and sun and it effaces to thin ice or, even worse, open water. Seen it happen more than once.

Too early to be writing hardwater advice though - WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO AT WORK IN NOVEMBER IF WE GIVE ALL THE ADVICE ABOUT HARDWATER IN AUGUST!??!! ;D :eek: ??? ;D ;) LOL!

·
Registered
636 Posts
That cracking sound has always freaked me out too but I don't worry too much about falling through. During the waterfowl season, I run, jump, and go human sledding/bowling on the ice with no fear. I even try to break the ice in thinner looking areas and can barely sink down. But like Ice said, stay off when it starts to rot.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Here are some safety things I do before I go on the ice for my kid and me. A whistle, I make sure we all have whistles just incase, its loud and can draw attention to an emergency like falling threw the ice. I also put hand spikes around their wrists, if you fall threw the ice its awefully hard to get ahold of something to pull yourself out fast enough before your body is too cold and shuts down. Ice picks allow you to grip the ice and helps you pull yourself up, I'll take a picture later and show you what I use. Other then that cleates on my shoes so I dont slide and bust my @ss is extra.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
cleats and pick on early ice are a must, that ice sometimes be as smooth as glass, i've busted the moneymaker more that a couple times without cleats.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
tbmanivong, I've caught wipers at Jackson through the ice, using a small kastmaster tipped with a meal worm or chunk of crawler. Nothing very big though, mostly 14-16inchers.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I got turned on to 11-mile in 1989 and I've never been the same! That first year had a hand auger and it took 15 mins to cut a hole.Next year got a power auger from Target for $175.00,in fact its the one I still use.Measured the ice that year @36 inches.I usually Ice fish 11-mile the weekend before thanksgiving and fish constantly till about mid-january cause the fishing tends to slow down from the early ice.Dont let the scaredy-cats stop you from fishing early ice-3.5 inches of hard,clear ice is perfectly safe.I'm talking about the first initial cap,after that the ice gets more unpredictable.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That early ice is very hard to beat, especially at Eleven Mile although its seems like the biggest fish are caught really late.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts