Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to take the kids out ice fishing on Friday the 23rd. Was thinking of Boyd or The coves at Aurora. With this wind and warm temps does anyone have any suggestions on a lake near denver that is not to far away. Mtn lake or pond that might not be to wet. Don't want to have soaking wet kids from playing on the ice.

What about evergreen or something like that. Or is boyd and Aurora OK??

Thanks

JT

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I too am going out on Friday, my son has 10 days of leave so the fishing has to be productive! I am skeptical about hitting front range ice as warm as it has been. If it was getting below freezing at night to firm it back up I would be ok but I am just a little nervous about 3 straight days above freezing. Especially when the high temp is in the 60's

I am thinking of maybe Tarryall. The action is reported to be fast there. Nothing large but a few hours of fast fishing would be good.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
When I fished Kriley in Golden Gate 2 weeks ago there was 12 inches of ice. The top 2 were cloudy the bottom 10 were clear. This was before the subzero weather. I think its probably ok.

Thr rangers up there are overly cautious and don't get alot of information on the actual conditions of the ice. They were still advising people the ice was too thin for fishing and completely unsafe when it had a foot of good ice.

As always pop test holes, but the weather has been different up there than down here. There was also 4 inches of fresh snow that could have melted on the surface too.

Dan

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Dan,

Do you know where Zman is fishing tomorrow or Saturday, or the 26th. I just thought if you knew you could give everyone a heads up.

You know... hey Terre lets go to Wolford Monday... Ahhhh, Jimmm, where have you been? didn't you see the "Ice Friday, Where to go" thread? Jim - Well no I guess I didn't... Terre - Sad news Jim, turns out Zman is headed there Monday... Jim - No Shi%, Holly Cripes, ya know that Colorado Fisherman web site owns.......yeah...... lets go to Williams Fork.

T

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ter,

No he did not tell me. He better lift the curse for this weekend. My son is home on leave and we is fishing on Friday and a couple of days next week!

If I hear anything on his whereabouts I will let you know...........

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Do you know where Zman is fishing tomorrow or Saturday, or the 26th.  I just thought if you knew you could give everyone a heads up. 

You know... hey Terre lets go to Wolford Monday... Ahhhh, Jimmm, where have you been?  didn't you see the "Ice Friday, Where to go" thread?  Jim - Well no I guess I didn't...  Terre - Sad news Jim, turns out Zman is headed there Monday...  Jim - No Shi%, Holly Cripes, ya know that Colorado Fisherman web site owns.......yeah...... lets go to Williams Fork.
I am headed for Elevenmile, Chatfield, Aurora, South Platte River, Cherry Creek, Barr Lake, Loveland Lake, Union, Bear Creek, Lon Hagler, Carter Lake, Poudre River, North Sterling, Boyd, Hattie, Glendo, Lake John, Steamboat Lake, Delanney Buttes, Stagecoach, Colorado River, Granby, Willow Creek Reservoir, Lathrop Lakes, Trinadad Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Boulder Reservoir, Horsetooth, Granby, Clear Creek Reservoir, Sylvan, Rifle, Grand Mesa Ice Fishing, Harvey Gap, Pueblo, Cottonwood Lakes, Copper Mountain Ponds, John Martin, Bonny, Big Mac, Evergreen, Chambers, Douglas, Georgetown, South Boulder Creek, Lake Estes, Mary Lake, Quail Lake, Shadow Mountain, Grand Lake, Blue River, Arkansas River, Honholz, Green Mountain, Dowdy, West, Parvin, Belleview fish hatchery, Golden Gate State Park, Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, Williams Fork, Dillion, Tarryall, Island Lake, Quail, Harriman, Seaman Reservoir, St Vrain, Nee Noshe, Elephant Butte, Lake Powell, Pyramid Lake, Flaming Gorge, Yellowstone Lake, below Pueblo dam, Chamber, Waterton, Cheeseman, Strontia Springs, may sneak into Spinney and Quincy and Arvada Reservoirs, Pikeview, Wolford, North Platte (both Colorado and Wyoming), Pathfinder, Diamond, MeBoer, Saratoga Lake, Cowdrey, Barnes Meadow, Long Draw Reservoir, Prospect Ponds, 470 Ponds, Chatfield Spillway, Ponds above Chatfield, McPhee, Vallecito, Lemon Reservoir, Trappers Lake, Little Trappers Lake, Coffin Lake, Wall Lake, Pearl Lake, Elk River, Yampa, Green River, Taylor, Webser, Adams County Fairgrounds, Jefferson Lake, Webster, Sawhill, Lonetree, Barber Ponds, Brush Hollow, Stanley, Taylor, Dream Stream, Deweese, Big Thompson, Riverbend Ponds, Taylor River, Ruedi, Pella, Skuagway, Hog Pen, Rainbow Lakes, Gross, did I mention Granby and Tarryall? boy will I be busy!

I dont think I will make it to the Commerce City Water Treatment Ponds...I hear the Brown Trout are running!...must be all of the holiday vittles!!...

You two (T and Dan) have an especially Merry Christmas!...my present to you...I wont show up at Granby or Tarryall (shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone)...

Merry Christmas everyone...I'll be at Pueblo if everything works out correctly...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Wow, I'm going to keep that list just for reference of where to go fishing within 500 miles of here... I think I will try Twin Lakes, just to play it safe.

Happy Holidays everyone, Zman too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
zman said:
Do you know where Zman is fishing tomorrow or Saturday, or the 26th.  I just thought if you knew you could give everyone a heads up. 

You know... hey Terre lets go to Wolford Monday... Ahhhh, Jimmm, where have you been?  didn't you see the "Ice Friday, Where to go" thread?  Jim - Well no I guess I didn't...  Terre - Sad news Jim, turns out Zman is headed there Monday...  Jim - No Shi%, Holly Cripes, ya know that Colorado Fisherman web site owns.......yeah...... lets go to Williams Fork.
I am headed for Elevenmile, Chatfield, Aurora, South Platte River, Cherry Creek, Barr Lake, Loveland Lake, Union, Bear Creek, Lon Hagler, Carter Lake, Poudre River, North Sterling, Boyd, Hattie, Glendo, Lake John, Steamboat Lake, Delanney Buttes, Stagecoach, Colorado River, Granby, Willow Creek Reservoir, Lathrop Lakes, Trinadad Lake, Horseshoe Lake, Boulder Reservoir, Horsetooth, Granby, Clear Creek Reservoir, Sylvan, Rifle, Grand Mesa Ice Fishing, Harvey Gap, Pueblo, Cottonwood Lakes, Copper Mountain Ponds, John Martin, Bonny, Big Mac, Evergreen, Chambers, Douglas, Georgetown, South Boulder Creek, Lake Estes, Mary Lake, Quail Lake, Shadow Mountain, Grand Lake, Blue River, Arkansas River, Honholz, Green Mountain, Dowdy, West, Parvin, Belleview fish hatchery, Golden Gate State Park, Indian Peaks Wilderness Area, Williams Fork, Dillion, Tarryall, Island Lake, Quail, Harriman, Seaman Reservoir, St Vrain, Nee Noshe, Elephant Butte, Lake Powell, Pyramid Lake, Flaming Gorge, Yellowstone Lake, below Pueblo dam, Chamber, Waterton, Cheeseman, Strontia Springs, may sneak into Spinney and Quincy and Arvada Reservoirs, Pikeview, Wolford, North Platte (both Colorado and Wyoming), Pathfinder, Diamond, MeBoer, Saratoga Lake, Cowdrey, Barnes Meadow, Long Draw Reservoir, Prospect Ponds, 470 Ponds, Chatfield Spillway, Ponds above Chatfield, McPhee, Vallecito, Lemon Reservoir, Trappers Lake, Little Trappers Lake, Coffin Lake, Wall Lake, Pearl Lake, Elk River, Yampa, Green River, Taylor, Webser, Adams County Fairgrounds, Jefferson Lake, Webster, Sawhill, Lonetree, Barber Ponds, Brush Hollow, Stanley, Taylor, Dream Stream, Deweese, Big Thompson, Riverbend Ponds, Taylor River, Ruedi, Pella, Skuagway, Hog Pen, Rainbow Lakes, Gross, did I mention Granby and Tarryall?  boy will I be busy!

I dont think I will make it to the Commerce City Water Treatment Ponds...I hear the Brown Trout are running!...must be all of the holiday vittles!!...

You two (T and Dan) have an especially Merry Christmas!...my present to you...I wont show up at Granby or Tarryall (shhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone)...

Merry Christmas everyone...I'll be at Pueblo if everything works out correctly...
So, you're not going to be at Simpson Ponds? ;D Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I figured you would remind me of how many I forgot!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
;D

He missed cursing Kriley Pond in Golden Gate Canyon State Park!

We hit it up for 4-5 hours of windblown excitement! We (my son and me) decided to go there because:

1. it was not cursed
2. after 6 months of military life we wanted a sure thing (caught probably 30 rainbows and brookies between us.)

Very windy though........gusts strong enough to knock people down.

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Nope...I hit Kriley...it is listed in Golden Gate State Parks (I was too lazy and short of time in the 10 minutes of time that I had to list them all). So the curse isnt me...I wasnt with you at Eleven Mile...so you are going to have to find another scapegoat...

Glad you got your kiddo into some fish!

Tell him thanks and God Bless for helping defend our country!!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hey Terre!

I figured it out! When ZMan does a global curse its too weak to affect all the water! All we have to do is to get him to do that every week!

Dan

PS don't buy his claim that its not him cursing the fishing just becasue his global curse failed!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Bwahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

<zGlobal Lighter> for encore!

Global Curse!...I may pee my pants from laughing...from the bottom of my business card...

Zman
Director of Global Curses and Galactic Fishing Mayhem and Armageddon

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Part of my 12 step program...Curses Arent Anonymous...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts