Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is this cool website Lake Ice - Ice growth. Describes some ice growth formulas. I plugged in some numbers for the upcoming cold front on the front range. If a lake already has an existing cap, there should be around 5-7 inches of new ice growth by Tuesday of next week! If there is not an existing cap the ice will be much less thick. Crazy... Colorado is crazy. These numbers are only estimates, so I will BRING A SPUD BAR to be sure, but I expect there may be some new opportunities on the front range next week.

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
Im in Havasu till next week. 75/ 55 each day. Gonna be hard to ice fish again!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So there is this cool website Lake Ice - Ice growth. Describes some ice growth formulas. I plugged in some numbers for the upcoming cold front on the front range. If a lake already has an existing cap, there should be around 5-7 inches of new ice growth by Tuesday of next week! If there is not an existing cap the ice will be much less thick. Crazy... Colorado is crazy. These numbers are only estimates, so I will BRING A SPUD BAR to be sure, but I expect there may be some new opportunities on the front range next week.
while ive sen this kind of tables before there is far too many X factors to incorporate especially y in colorado where the sun is so much more intense than at sea level. its been really cold the last three nights here in lakewood and I still see a lot of open water around town. I hope your right im hoping to go myself this weekend and pretty much expecting to find three inches

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not expecting to find much more than 3 myself this weekend. Sat and Sunday are the really cold days. Most the ice growth should happen on the weekend not before. I agree though. Always a lot of factors and pays to be careful

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Slayer kiss my @#%. I'm just jealous, hope you slay some fish and get a good tan.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Interesting read. How the ice forms is great info but as for a predictor I'll pass. IMO this is one of many things tables and equations just can't predict. Every body of water has inherent variables that need to be considered. Colorado is at the edge of the ice belt so I'll echo SPUD BAR.

Seems to me that around 20 years ago a boat capsized on Spinney just before ice-on. I think they recovered the missing individual the following spring at ice-out but I can't remember the details. All I can think of are the movies where critters crawl out of the bodies of dead people. Hey what that in his mouth? Just a crayfish having a snack.

Worse yet you live but have become mentally retarded.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Cold, Cold, Colder, Gone

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
didn't seem to help at all ,went to Chatfield this morning minus 10, half the lake is still open water, did fish the pond to the south 3inches of ice caught five small perch ,two twelve inch suckers and one seventeen inch walleye no pics didn't take my phone out all fish still swimming curios does anybody have problems with there tungsten hooks breaking this is the fifth one this ice season at four dollars a pop its getting old

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the report! At least you got out. I'm going to check some local spots tomorrow, but damn am I ready for spring open water fishing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Top 3 of my favorite spots for monster stripers! Lake Powell, Lake Havasu and Lake Pleasant. One could argue that Lake Mojave and Lake Mead belongs in the top 3 as well.
Agree! An amazing comparison to striper Regs in Maine. There u can keep one striper over 27” per day. That’s it! It’s the ocean, but it’s been decimated by commercial as well as illegals. I’ve seen flatbed trailers of stripers hauled out of Powell. Needed to be done in the 80’s as they were starving. Good fish now & bonus of no limit on eyes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I checked out a bass pond in the Boulder/Longmont area that was open water as of 2/9. I found three and a half to 4 in of ice. Fished for an hour(ish). marked a few, missed one, went home because I didn't have much time.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So I checked out a bass pond in the Boulder/Longmont area that was open water as of 2/9. I found three and a half to 4 in of ice. Fished for an hour(ish). marked a few, missed one, went home because I didn't have much time.
where is this pond ,I love fishing ponds found one back about five years ago up there but they since have closed off access to it I understand if you want to keep it a secrete just wondering

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
where is this pond ,I love fishing ponds found one back about five years ago up there but they since have closed off access to it I understand if you want to keep it a secrete just wondering
Sorry, got to keep this one a secret. It's a tiny pond and most people don't even know you can ice fish there, and it is not even on that hotspotting app fishbrain. I will say that if this is safe other ponds probably are such as St Vrain .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts