Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, As the proud owner of a new Eskimo QuickFlip 2 I was wondering what people used to anchor the hut down. More specifically, how do you attach the rope to the sled or hut. I thought of drilling 4 holes into the side of the sled and put in some eye bolts but wanted to ask for advice here first.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Ironically, Eskimo makes the best anchors, imo. So if you can get some, get those. The clam ones are not bad. Since yours is a quickflip, I'd run a rope out from the frame of your hut (put it low) and through the bottom and always anchor that in the wind so that your back is in the wind. And anchor the other side with snow/ice/slush.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I can't stand commercial anchors. They are a total pain to get into the ice. I've made my own and have used these on my various shelters.
Here's what you need. 8" lag bolts., metal washers, mallet hammer, ratchet and socket.
I sharpened the lag bolts on a bench grinder. To set up: Pound the lag bolt in the ice using a washer under the head of the bolt. At the end of the day, use the ratchet and socket to unscrew the bolts from the ice. It's fast and extremely simple. You can use the same thing if you want to also add ropes from the outside. I just add a few links of chain threaded on the bolt below the washer to tie the rope onto.
Another thing you should keep with you is a small metal file. In case you slightly mushroom the head of the lag bolt when you're pounding it in, you can reshape it quickly so the socket will fit onto the head to remove the anchor.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Thing I like about the eskimo ones, and even my older clam ones, is that they don't require much work or tools to get into the ice. Just push on em, and make quarter turns until it gets started. Then they're easy to screw into place by hand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the eskimo anchors and they seem to work well to two times I've used them. I took my auger and started a hole, then screwed in the anchors O.K.
When you say " run a rope out from the frame of your hut" what do you tie it to? The aluminum frame, the sled itself, or the metal plate that all the poles connect to?

Thanks for the ideas!
Arrow

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Whatever the strongest point of your sled/hut will be. With my FishTrapPro (flipover hut) it's the frame of the seat.

lucky7 said:
The anchors that came with my Eskimo Quikfish 3...Thye screw into the ice real easy.
Same with mine. Those are the ones that I was referring to. They're bigger than the Clam ones that I bought separately a few years ago. Seem stronger too.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
jeffmonument said:
jamiehughes said:
jeffmonument said:
Instead of a rope i use a cam buckle and strap. Pretty easy for good tension too http://www.camstraps.com/camstraps/index.htm
what an amazingly simple idea..... :D
No credit here, that was jaimie's killer idea!
i been using those ever since i started ice fishing, i cant believe more people dont use em, if for nothing else the ease and the fast adjustability of the strap...... ;)

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Pound the lag bolt in the ice using a washer under the head of the bolt.
So how much hammering do you do of the bolt into the ice...with most fish especially big fish...the less ice noise setting up the better...I know people that wont use ice cleats and walk around with big trout at Antero or Pike at 11 mile...walleyes too...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with eye bolts in the sled, cam straps and a carrabiener (sp).

Got to be honest, the first time I took it out I ended up half way across South Delany and 7 stitch's in the chin. I learned the value of anchors ::)
Happy Fishing

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
arrow said:
Thanks for the ideas. I think I'll go with eye bolts in the sled, cam straps and a carrabiener (sp).

Got to be honest, the first time I took it out I ended up half way across South Delany and 7 stitch's in the chin. I learned the value of anchors ::)
Happy Fishing
sometimes they are definitely necessary

·
Registered
509 Posts
zman said:
Pound the lag bolt in the ice using a washer under the head of the bolt.
So how much hammering do you do of the bolt into the ice...with most fish especially big fish...the less ice noise setting up the better...I know people that wont use ice cleats and walk around with big trout at Antero or Pike at 11 mile...walleyes too...
It does make some noice, so does a motorized auger and all of the other set up noise. No big deal, wait 10 minutes and the fish will come back in.

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
I have a Clam Nanook flip-over. I use the lag bolts/washer idea but bring my cordless drill with a socket. Screw them in, screw them out. I run them thru the floor thru the rear runner. That sucka dont move. Been wind-tested at the mile this year and Antero several times in that brutal wind.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I use a cordless drill also....except I'm fishing for pike and put an egg beater in the chuck...Started doing this a couple of years ago and if the fishing is slow...just froth up the water...it usually will bring in a fish or two... ;)

Used to anchor my hut with lags...worked well. Now,pretty much just anchor it with me...

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
hobiecat said:
I use a cordless drill also....except I'm fishing for pike and put an egg beater in the chuck...Started doing this a couple of years ago and if the fishing is slow...just froth up the water...it usually will bring in a fish or two... ;)

Used to anchor my hut with lags...worked well. Now,pretty much just anchor it with me...
The human anchor works ok but you cannot get up even to pee.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts