Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my first hut and I have a few questions that have sprung up after thinking about its use.

First - The product is a Clam 5600 and it has a solid bottom with removable panels. Is there a technique for drilling holes? It seems easy enough to drill them then slide the shelter over, but it could prove to be a challange in the wind, or a hassle if you drill a little off center. Drilling from the inside would be fine of course but I think it is silly to have the bottom if only to fill it with ice shavings (I could bring along some colored syrup and make snow cones though) and water.

Second - High wind conditions are a given and I was curious to know of a few different tie down techniques. Since it is a high profile hut would it be simplest to drive three or so stakes right across the back and tie to them, or are there better options?

Third - Sliding it. I'm sure that it is easy enough to slide however has anyone ever tried mounting a thin metal strip or something similar? I'm looking to keep it as close to the ice as possible while prolonging the life of the 'sled' casing and making it as easy to move as can be. I guess if I were to raise the casing off of the ice a bit it would help with number one.

Anyways any advice is greatly welcomed...

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent!

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I must say that it is absolutely brilliant to use the spreader bars for hole placement. So simple but effective. I'm the perfectionest type so I would bust out the chalk line and square if that wasn't thrown out.

Oh...and speed zippering....classic...

Thanks again...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.