Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm so far away from ice fishing that it looks like my flasher/fishfinder won't ever get cold again. Lowrance x67c

BUT.... I know you can use the ice ducer in open water... Had this discussion before. I'm just wondering what to expect display-wise on a boat. With a traditional fish finder and open-water transducer, you see the depths, bait balls, arches for fish, etc. If I do not buy a regular transducer, will my view be just the same as when ice fishing while moving around (slowly) in a boat? Depths and fish lines moving into and out of the cone? Should I try to match my ping speed (somehow) with my trolling motor speed?

I'm very ignorant when it comes to this stuff, so forgive me.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Put it on the regular screen turn the ping speed up to 100...the floating transducer will work when stationary or drifting...not well when moving faster...buy the boat transducer or maybe a suction cup kit to attach the ice one (might work)...hobie may have an idea since i think he uses his ice ducer on his toon...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
owen search

using x67 lowrance in a boat

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Works just fine, used it on my Standley boat, then got an open water ducer. Before the open water ducer I just zipped tied the ice ducer to the boat or motor, worked fine. Granted the boat didn't go over 15mph, but it still worked the same. Only reason I got the open water ducer was to make it easier to go from ice to the boat. Simply unplug a cable rather than my kustom ziptie jobie. You don't have the ice to worry about so just do it up, souther style...

Get a boat?

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too big for alot of the little streams and creeks I want to fish. Of course it is perfect for lakes and big rivers like the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers, but I want something that's one-size-fits-all.

15 ft flat bottom Jon... Low water profile, and will seat 3 comfortably with gear and sh**.

Besides, I don't have $1250 right now. If I did, I probably couldn't resist the temptation to get this one and then have a little beater boat for the small rivers.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Used my vex while vertically jigging in my pontoon. Just find a place to secure the transducer so you don't damage it and you're golden.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts