Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really wanting to go up and hike in there one more time before the ice is all gone. What do you guys think? Will there be any safe ice left tomorrow? There is no ranger station that I could find or any number to call for an update. I did call the stores up in redfeathers lakes thinking it might be comparable and they said the lakes are starting to open from the wind. What's your opinions?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wondering the same thing for Sunday. I would be very cautious on the dam side of the lake, for sure. And probably hike around the lake to check ice on the upper end.

s

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, I hate this weather. I know earlier this week it's a bit colder there at night so maybe that helps. But I'm not very experienced and Idk how fast a lake can lose a foot of ice in this weather

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Keep in mind, if you go in there probably won't be anyone around and if/when you get out you have to hike wet and cold back to your vehicle. I'd be VERY cautious. Spudding the chit out of the ice all around before picking a spot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd be going with a partner, but that's very true. Haha on the bright side, if you did fall in...you could just get out, strip down, and with this warm wind you'd be dry in no time. It's like a giant hair dryer out there today ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dudes, there is ice. But be cautious. We were the only ones on the ice.

Walked around to get onto it. I would say 6-8" but some spongy stuff on the far sunny side.

Yes, still perch available...once we found them. 7-8"

s

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Nice job, Gentlemen! I've been on the throne for 72 hrs. purging Mexico from my bowels-:p:p:p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice job, Gentlemen! I've been on the throne for 72 hrs. purging Mexico from my bowels-:p:p:p
Without photos, it didn't happen. :) Just kidding...DON'T want to see it. I have been in that position myself before on trips to Yucatan years ago. Days off work at least...

We caught 60 perch between us, returning those less than about 7". Get well.

s

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys, I went to seamans today and got into the perch. However I strongly advise you not to fish it unless we get another big cold snap. If your right by the shore in 5' of water the ice is good, anything further out and the ice is 3" and very unstable. Not worth the risk with how warm this week will be. I bet my next weekend the lake is opening up. The fiancée and I had a large fracture line shoot right underneath us and water started oozing up from the crack. Needless to say we boogied out as fast as possible. I guess the ice season is done for us at the lower elevations :(

·
Registered
838 Posts
Way to go Shoe and friend. I just have to ask this question, why do you have to hide your face when taking the picture? I have noticed that lots of people here do not show their faces when taking the pictures besides me, AO, Redleader, and Slayer. Are we the only handsome guys on this forum that are not afraid to show what we look like?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys, I went to seamans today and got into the perch. However I strongly advise you not to fish it unless we get another big cold snap. If your right by the shore in 5' of water the ice is good, anything further out and the ice is 3" and very unstable. Not worth the risk with how warm this week will be. I bet my next weekend the lake is opening up. The fiancée and I had a large fracture line shoot right underneath us and water started oozing up from the crack. Needless to say we boogied out as fast as possible. I guess the ice season is done for us at the lower elevations :(
Kamm did you fish on the dam end of the lake? We didn't even venture out there. Walk up and around the lake on trail to get to better ice. I agree to be careful...I haven't gone in for a while. :biggrin1: Use your spud.

s

1 - 20 of 23 Posts