Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on why ice popps? I've always been curious as to why it does it. Have a buddy who I've been trying to get on the ice for years but wont go because of the noise. Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
freezing water expands and generates pressure within the ice sheet. Wind pressure pushes it, creating more pressure. Slight changes in water levels under the ice can cause cracks. Ice sheet doesn't increase in thickness at the same rate, so some parts will build ice and float up, and large areas that are not thickening as quickly can crack and drop slightly below them under the stress. There are lots of reasons ice makes noise.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
IMO ice that is cold, brittle, and unisulated (with snow) is more prone to noise than other ice. It is my own theroy that changing air tempurature has a direct impact on the ice causing expansion and contraction of the ice, which causes cracking, at times it can be a little exciting.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Its cause I'm fat and it is aching under my steps.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I did not notice the ice popping under ePic but I did notice it cracking under Ken after he took a small jump.

All the noise you hear is related to the ice cracking due to expansion and contraction. (See TAL0362 post)

It happens more when the sun has been shining on it for a little while. The noise really started at 11-mile on Saturday after the sun poked out from behing the clouds to east and shone on the ice for a few minutes.

I love the sound the ice makes especially the lazer sounds.......

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't know if it had just something to do with air temp or lake depth. Tarryall pops all the time, even with a foot of ice on it, but you hear more pops when it starts to warm up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Does all this popping have any influence on the fishing? I've never paid much attention to good/bad days while the lakes making noise but it would be interesting to know. Any opinions? Looney

·
Registered
863 Posts
Expanding and contracting is my input.

but its more fun to tell the kids its the fish hitting there heads on the ice....It sounds like we better start fishing! 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts