1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D

·
0 Posts
These things weigh next to nothing, don't interfere with your fishing and have saved my rods countless times.  They run $6 or $7.00 in various local shops.  When a fish starts to drag your rod to the hole the spring loaded leg snaps out straight and prevents it from going down even a 10" hole.

Used to get mine at Uncle Milty's.  :'( :'( :'( Last winter High Country had them.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Don I use those Dickey's also but they can go down a 10" hole learned the hard way last year at 11 mile. They work 99% of the time

D

·
0 Posts
Trout said:
Don I use those Dickey's also but they can go down a 10" hole learned the hard way last year at 11 mile. They work 99% of the time
Really? I've never had it happen. Guess I'd better quit being so cocky. I've probably got a dozen of them installed on different rods. They're getting hard to find in stores, though, and I've never found them online.

S

·
0 Posts
Seems to me Don this holder would work nicely at Aurora res. from the dam. Does the pole snap into the holder or can you just take it out easily when you get a hit?

D

·
0 Posts
[quote="FishFinder" ]
Does the pole snap into the holder or can you just take it out easily when you get a hit?
[/quote]

How easily it comes off your rod depends on the diameter of the rod blank.  But since the legs are made to splay out in a straight line under pressure from a fish, I wouldn't use it for open water bank fishing.  It's made specifically to save your ice rod from going down a hole. That's all!

You attach it to your rod by laying the rod in the hole un the upper left. Then you insert the leg and screw it down, holding the rod in place with the little black rubber nipple. It's not a quick removal if your rod has any siameter to it.

D

·
0 Posts
Maybe, but it may be be pretty heavy and bulky. I like rod holders for ice fishing that are either so small and lioghtweight that I don't need to remover my rod to fish, set the hook, and land the fish or that allow me to remove the rod instantly when a fish hits. Just my preference. Fish with ikt and let us know.

M

·
0 Posts
I've got one of those bent wire rod holders that sit on the side of a bucket and hold the rod up. I like them and they're good as long as you have enough weight in the bucket.

http://www.msgb2b.com/MsgItemDetailDesc.aspx?id=gkWP13WGC81kRjVqihx2uA==&act=yes

I also have a wooden platform that I built and weighted with duck decoy weights that has a hole drilled into it for a regular rod holder (the type you can buy at Wal-Mart that sticks into the ground) and it works too but it is bulky and I agree with Don on the heavy bulky thing.

I've seen (haven't used) something that looks like a velcro strap that goes around your leg and straps your rod in place (I'm serious about this). Simple solution and jigging should be easy if you bounce your leg.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I like to get my reel up off the snow and ice. That aside,

Bobber how about this to improve your idea, cut it so one side is heavier and drops when you lift it, and cut the slot so that when the thing rotates it rotates in a direction that allows the rod to come out and have it fall off the rod.

·
Registered
126 Posts
bobber said:
Anybody think something along this order would work? It's 15" long, 3" high. 1" deep
I like the design, but i think you need to tweek the slot for the rod, seems like it would be hard to yank a pole out.  what about a velcro strap over a straight slot?  I am bulding one that is just a 15" plank with a 3" board on it with a hole for the end of the rod and a 6" board on the front with a "v" in it.  the weight issue for me is mox nix right now, it will be in the sled!  the weight will help me for the Bronco's tryouts!  LOL

D

·
0 Posts
TAL0362 said:
I like to get my reel up off the snow and ice.  That aside,

Bobber how about this to improve your idea, cut it so one side is heavier and drops when you lift it, and cut the slot so that when the thing rotates it rotates in a direction that allows the rod to come out and have it fall off the rod.
CAUTION!! Injineer at wurk!! ;D

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Fishfinder, I have those I pack snow and water to freeze the wire in the ice, so they don't go flying.

Bobbers looks nice (and classy like me), send me two when you have it perfected, will you Bobber.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I have both the wire rod holder and the wire one for the bucket. I don't really like either. I am going to try setting the wire one in snow and ice to keep it from going when a fish hits. I do like bobbers idea. It is skinny enough to fit in the bucket easy and the weight doesn't bother me becasue I pull my stuff on a sled....besides it can't weigh that much. If it was a little taller it would help to keep the reel out of the snow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i use the same wire one as fish finder, and have for a few years now. they work great, and as he said if you pack down ice and snow, it aint goin nowhere. they work so well that every year, one or two of mine dissappear, and somehow my friends end up finding them in their house! damn those ice fishing gnomes

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Nice, and I'm not sucking up...

So does the second leg stop the pole from falling out?

What are you charging for two of them ;D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts