Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just joined this site, although I have checked it out on and off over the years. Anyway, for those of you who are looking for the real deal ice fishing rod, I encourage you to check out Thorne Bros custom ice rods. Or call Lonnie and have him build whatever you want. My favorite by far, I would not use anything else and I have a few of them for every species you can fish for. The outside perch model is the one I use for trout and it has been outstanding over the years, they are not cheap, and they are not made in freaking china and they will last you many, many years. I'll be up at ND on Saturday, if you happen to be up there and you see the silver bullet that will be me.. Fish on!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I love my Thorne Bro rods too. I've had them for a 7-8 years now and they are still my favorite.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya know its funny, after I got my first Thorne bros. rod, I threw all the rest of mine in the trash. I would not fish with anything else. I got turned on to them years ago when I went to Minnesota to fish with Matt Johnson who at the time worked for Thorne Bros and was guiding, he now is the Clam Ice Team Mgr. When I see people looking at the rods at Scheels or Cabelas I just have to laugh, I wouldn't use one of those if they were free. Matched all mine up with Shimano Stradics and have never had one fail me. By the way, if you ever need a good guide up in Minnesota, call Matt, he is awesome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
"When I see people looking at the rods at Scheels or Cabelas I just have to laugh" Laugh all you want at me and my Ugly Ice rod. I also use a hand auger from 1990. Fish On.

·
Registered
470 Posts
"When I see people looking at the rods at Scheels or Cabelas I just have to laugh" Laugh all you want at me and my Ugly Ice rod. I also use a hand auger from 1990. Fish On.
i
I have around a dozen rods that I have built from rods that my friends do not use anymore and broken rods. They all are different lengths for different species. I use a variety of reels based on what I am ice fishing for. My only cost is for tips , eyes and glue. I have used Thorn Bros rods and find my rebuilt rods just as good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i
I have around a dozen rods that I have built from rods that my friends do not use anymore and broken rods. They all are different lengths for different species. I use a variety of reels based on what I am ice fishing for. My only cost is for tips , eyes and glue. I have used Thorn Bros rods and find my rebuilt rods just as good.
And I did have an expensive Fenwick ice rod. It felt no better than the Ugly Ice, and the Fenwick broke easily in the first season.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts