Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Gals
My son and I are looking to get a shelter this year. Any suggestions on what to look for. I am thinking of quick set up style of some type. Make it easy to move to another hole with out alot of work. If I can keep the kids out of the wind and cold they will go with me more often.

Any ideas on what to look at?

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
campingkids said:
Guys/Gals
My son and I are looking to get a shelter this year. Any suggestions on what to look for. I am thinking of quick set up style of some type. Make it easy to move to another hole with out alot of work. If I can keep the kids out of the wind and cold they will go with me more often.

Any ideas on what to look at?

Thanks
JT
JT:

How many kids will you have at a time?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More than likely just one of the two will fish with me. If all three of us go I would plan on fishing outside the shelter most of the time.

JT

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would look at the clams, they look pretty nice to me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm with you lucky, I've had mine for three years now and love it, it can be kind of cumbersome on a long walk, but 99% of the time it's great.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Is it pretty stable in the wind? I just got the "scout" but looking to up grade to the "pro", for a little extra room with a kid. You gotta love the flipS

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Dave Genz huts are really nice but for you and your kids I would really really recommend the Quick Flip 2 from Eskimo. They are sold at Sportsmans W and they have a bench seat that fits 2 adults very comfortably and would probably fit 1 adult and 2 kids just perfect. I think the bench seat would work way better with kids than the swivel bass boat style seats found in the genz huts. There is room to fish 3 10" holes and have space for my little buddy heater. Also my auger fits perfectly in the sled when pulling every thing out on the ice. In fact I can fit my power auger, fish finder, lil buddy heater, tackle and put a cooler on top of it all and pull it along just fine. I think it goes for $280 at sportsmans and a travel cover is another 40. The cover is nice to have. Also I can put the hut in the back of my truck by myself as long as its empty but it is nice to have a second hand especially if your gear is still in it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I agree with Johnny...from what I have seen and read on other forums with people who have them...the Fishtraps seem hard to beat...that is next on my list...a fishtrap pro...I have a Clam but I think I am going to sell it...I like to be a little more mobile...plus that bucket seat is pretty darn comfortable...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Zman I dont think there is a better 1 man hut on the market than the Pro. You cant beat it. I also like the adapter that ties two of them together, really cool. I was just thinking with kids that the bucket swivel seats in the fishtraps would be a major pain. Also the eskimo huts are quite a bit cheaper and still good quality.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I looked hard at the Eskimo...people that have them really seem to like them...I read some really good things about the Otters too...sounds like they are built like tanks...but I havent seen any anywhere...plenty of sprawl room in the Pro...three holes...two poles spaced wide enough apart...Vex in the middle...that sliding bucket accomodates everything...gear pockets and windows well designed...enough room to put it on Chatfield in January...fish for trout and eyes...while having a battery operated color TV to catch the NFL playoffs...not heaven but I can see it from there!...I have a jar full of change that has to have a couple of hundred bucks in there...I think I heard it mutter...pssst Fish Trap Pro...bwahahahahahahahhaaaa...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zman,

Where to you hook up the dish to get that NFL package?

Thanks for all the input. I am not sure if I like the bench or the Chairs. The chair are nice so you can move forward or back away from your hole a little. The bench does make the most sence if all three of use are fishing. Just got to figure out if that would ever happen.

Thanks
JT

D

·
0 Posts
Look hard at how much they weigh. I have an old original Fish Trap. I think it weighs about 53 lbs. By the time I pile my auger, heater and gear in there, that's about as much weight as I want to pull around by myself.

I like the room in the bigger ones, though, for fishing more than one person.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I have the Clam guide and love it for its mobility. Make sure you look at how much the sled will hold. I bought mine 3-4 years ago and it fits my jiffy and 3 buckets no problem. I was at Bass pro last week and noticed the new Clam Guides have half the size sleds they use too. The only draw back to flip huts they don't seal to the ground and visibilty is not as good as a traditional style huts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Campingkids, in the Pro I moved the seat base a little to the left to add some room on the right to fit a 5 gallon bucket for my daughter to sit on when she goes with me. Plenty of room on the cold days and still have a lot of room on my right when I'm by myself. Will show you when we fish together soon. Only needed to drill two holes to move the base. Looney

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i got a 2 seater from wallyworld folds in half and is almost self setting (made by viking i think) just unfold it and snap in a spreader bar. a pair of cushioned bucket lids for a soft warm seat and the buckets hold most of my gear the auger (hand) the buckets and the rest of my junk rides on the folded up hut just like a sled can even pull it with my rino

if i was to do it again i would go with a bigger model 3 or 4 person not that it is cramped but to have a bit more distance between lines, i do fish with 4 lines inside (2 people) and havent had many tangles but would like to spead them out more. we only go 4 inside when it is really nasty when it is just uncomfertable out side we put 2 in and 1 each outside where we can see it thru the window
i take it most the time even on a nice day never know when the wind is going to kick up

·
Registered
90 Posts
My brother, alwaystoobusy, and I just picked up a Clam 3-person at Gander Mountain in Thornton. The price was knocked down from $379 to $299....a steal in my opinion!

We were also looking for an 8" gas auger that was being sold for $239 @ Bass Pro. We didn't see the same model (which they usually stock) anywhere in the store. Jim/Gander Mountain checked in back and didn't find one either. Since they didn't have one, Jim hooked us up with a 10" for the same price as 8"! Stellar! Good buys abound at that place!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i use a fish trap voyager, it's a little big but i love all the extra room especially when the girlfriend and the dog go iceing with me,not cheap though but you get what you pay for, my buddy bought a eskimo flip type shelter and his is twice as heavy as my trap and his looks like it is 4 years older already, that thing is just falling apart. he wishes he still has his voyager that he sold for $150 when he bough the eskimo

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey campingkids,
All the suggestions made so far to you have been very good. Personally, I'm partial to the Frabill Hide-Out. I picked mine up at Garts a few years ago for $200, which was the best deal I'd seen out there. Frabill has their heavy duty Arctic armour on this model, which is incredibly durable. It stands about 6 feet high, about 6x5 length/width when set up and very comfortably fishes two (although it claims to be a three person house but could be a little tight, depending upon the size of the three people). The really nice thing about it, is that you can take gear out on the lake with you, as it folds down into a low profile sled. The quick set up and take down is what impressed me the most, as under a minute is no problem.
As always, there are many quality shelters to consider, this one is definitely worth a look. Take care.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts