Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woke up yesterday and opened up the freezer to grab some hash browns and realized I was almost out of filets. The work I had to do could wait till Monday, so there was only one thing to do here in summit county on this beautiful Colorado Blue bird day, and it wasn’t slashing turns at ABasin, Copper, Breck or Keystone. It had been since super bowl Sunday that I fished GM so I loaded up the machine and gear and stopped for fuel at the Kum and Go. I came and I went, but it only involved getting fuel. Or for some you other forum members I guess I better say it also did not involve other dudes, craigslist, or animals.

I got to the lake at about 10:30 and it was absolutely gorgeous, the lake has dropped 20 feet, the inlet is opening up, and the conditions were just perfect, no wind, 55 degrees and the ice surface couldn’t have been any smoother. I unloaded and ripped out to my first Meat spot at 70mph. I got to the spot and realized that with the lower water I needed to try one of my other go to Meat spots.
Once again topping 70mph. I hauled balls to the second little honey hole and about 45 minutes later fishing over 55 f.o.w. I had my limit of macs. Most were caught suspended above 30 feet. I basked in the glorious Colorado sun and the blood of the almighty lake trout.

After I picked up my limit I decided to check a couple of my low water big fish spots. At my second stop I whacked this 26 incher. Once again showing that once a laker at GM makes it past 20 inches and can transfer from primarily zoo plankton to fish it gets really healthy and girthy.

I hunted big ones for about another hour without anymore takers so I decided to see if I could get into the bows. So on the perfect riding conditions and my old supped up Polaris I was at the inlet in no time. I pulled up to about 150 yards of the open water, pulled out my trout gear and an hour later I had 4 nice bows. Phone died so I didn’t get any pics of my mixed bag limit of 12 fish. I did however take a meat pick when I got home of my 24 filets.

So now the freezer is restocked I’m not sure how many more days on the ice I will get, I certainly am in no hurry for open water. There’s nothing like Ice fishing in spring in the Colorado mountains under the best conditions.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Mismanaged lake.

Nice report Fordo, the lake has very few Lake Trout over 22"s and they are a benefit to the lake. This is a classic case of a mismanaged lake, 8 lake trout any size does nothing to support what could have available, the possibility of a quality lake trout fishery, so again the lake is managed for what we don't and won't have, a kokanee fishery that has been devastated by gill lice. The regs were changed to an 8 laker open reg. from a meeting with the small town of Heeney who supported bringing back the Kokanee fishery. None of us even knew about the meeting until it was a done deal and now we have a lake that is not managed to it's potential and the biologist is against changing it because he just changed within the last few years. How about fixing the mistake and making a change that shows appreciation for a quality Lake trout fishery and doesn't allow the taking of 8 large scarce Lakers. Good topic for Tuesdays meeting.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice report Fordo, the lake has very few Lake Trout over 22"s and they are a benefit to the lake. This is a classic case of a mismanaged lake, 8 lake trout any size does nothing to support what could have available, the possibility of a quality lake trout fishery, so again the lake is managed for what we don't and won't have, a kokanee fishery that has been devastated by gill lice. The regs were changed to an 8 laker open reg. from a meeting with the small town of Heeney who supported bringing back the Kokanee fishery. None of us even knew about the meeting until it was a done deal and now we have a lake that is not managed to it's potential and the biologist is against changing it because he just changed within the last few years. How about fixing the mistake and making a change that shows appreciation for a quality Lake trout fishery and doesn't allow the taking of 8 large scarce Lakers. Good topic for Tuesdays meeting.
I'm all over it brutha

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
*"Or for some you other forum members I guess I better say it also did not involve other dudes, craigslist, or animals."

Lol

Really nice report and fish! Tight lines man!

"

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow. Those big lakers are few and far between at GM. Good job.

True, not many big ones at all. they are hard to come by and if you look at the gill net report it verifies it.
There has been a large amount of fish removed from the lake since the increase of 8 fish limit. Other fisherman that I have spoke with claim that in comparison to the past, numbers are down, but average size is up.
Another 5 years of the 8 fish limit is to much. If the state could just see the incredible potential of GM as a premier lake trout fishery and see that it is what the fisherman want, maybe they might consider a 4 or 6 fish bag limit with only 1 over 22".
Good thing is, the word is out, the highest majority of guys are releasing the bigger ones at GM.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Nice job fordo. I shoulda gone there instead of granby. I'll probably be heading that way for some pan fryers Saturday.

And I hear you. You'll catch me on turquoise in May again, lol.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Nice job fordo. I shoulda gone there instead of granby. I'll probably be heading that way for some pan fryers Saturday.

And I hear you. You'll catch me on turquoise in May again, lol.
when thinking of were you are going to fish on saterday, just remember the lake has dropped over 20 feet. I got into a pocket of the greasers, but fishing as been overall pretty slow for most the last few weeks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Way to get after em Randy. 700cc's of mackinaw ass kickin.

Thanks for the pictures too. I haven't been out in weeks. My sons competitive baseball is killing me.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
when thinking of were you are going to fish on saterday, just remember the lake has dropped over 20 feet. I got into a pocket of the greasers, but fishing as been overall pretty slow for most the last few weeks.
I was gonna go to black creek and hike north from there to deeper water. Catch my 8 and then hit up some Bo's on the way back along the rocks. Might even grab an open water rod and fish the open water I'm assuming will be at that inlet.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I was gonna go to black creek and hike north from there to deeper water. Catch my 8 and then hit up some Bo's on the way back along the rocks. Might even grab an open water rod and fish the open water I'm assuming will be at that inlet.
waters to low for that plan. cant really fish open water at inlet. 8' to 10' drop off ice ledges to moving water. north lot or boat ramp is best bet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts