Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an ice safety question for you. What will the conditions be like on Friday? After nights in the low 20?s and day in the 30-high 40?s, How will the ice hold up?

The kids are out of school and I am off Friday and thought I might hit Aurora or go to Boyd and chase some of those bluegills I read about on the forum. What could I see for ice conditions on Friday?

JT

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Ice conditions have lots of variables. Even though the temperature can reach the 40's and 50's during the day it does not neccesarily mean the ice will deteriorate to an unsafe level. When there is a solid cap on a lake I usually don't worry too much about the ice as long as it gets down into the mid to lower 20's overnight.

At Aurora, It is a deep reservoir (hitting 110 feet) the center is very slow to freeze over. you tend to see ice in the coves and along the shore line. The thing that affects the ice at Aurora (melting and breaking up) is not so much the temps this time of year but the wind. The wind moves lots of sand and fine particles onto the ice causing it to honeycomb quickly. (cloudy ice has only half the strength of clear) Then the wind causes it to shift creating more cracks and occasional open water inside the frozen areas. On particulary windy days it can break up entire sheets of ice.

So it is really hard to say what is safe or not. I listed things that make the ice less safe. As always when going on the ice get a report from a braver soul than you and frequently test the thickness. Walk in single file, keep your weight spread out and if you go throught the ice, when you get out follow the same path out you took getting in. (less likely to find another soft spot taking the same route you already walked on.

Dan

·
Registered
374 Posts
dan hit it on the head
WIND is our enemy if the lake hasnt fully capped.but the 50 degree weather has nothing to do with it if it stays cold at night.plus we have plenty of ice on our metro lakes to sustain for months.unless we start into the 70's and 40's at night of course.carefull on aurora.the main body just capped saturday night.stay in the coves.bring some minnows and have a blast.stay shallow.
shawn

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Nice job Dan!!...I think one of those voo doo pins helped your synapsis (sp?)... ;)

Think one would help Terre?...<snicker>

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
syn·ap·sis ( P ) Pronunciation Key (s-npss)
n. pl. syn·ap·ses (-sz)
The side-by-side association of homologous paternal and maternal chromosomes during the first prophase of meiosis.

?huh??

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Zman. you make it sound like i never know what I am tolking about.  We both know that I do and the reason you are constantly cursing me and Terre is because we are:

1. much brighter than you
2. much better looking than you
3. much better at fishing than you.

Dan

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
1. much brighter than you
2. much better looking than you
3. much better at fishing than you.
I cant disagree there...you forgot humble too...

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah, you forgot humble!

Oh, synapse I get it.

syn·apse Pronunciation Key (snps, s-nps)
n.

The junction across which a nerve impulse passes from an axon terminal to a neuron, muscle cell, or gland cell.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I grew up in Michigan(80's-90's), so we got to see all kinds of ice conditions and got see all kinds of things. One of the weirdest ice conditions is honeycomb ice. The ice gets porous and turns a opaque white color. This is the last stage of ice , before it is no longer safe in the spring. I have seen guys walking on honeycomb ice and appears they are walking on a waterbed.

One of the amazing things we seen was during spring thaw on Lake St. Clair. The lake was mostly open with icepacks here and there, except for the shoreline ice, which was still intact. There was an offshore wind that day and all the fisherman were out about 300 yards or so, when the ice detached from shore and became huge icepack. Well instead of getting off right away and jumping into a couple feet of water , these guys wanted more fish(the fishing was awesome)and wanted to wait to last possible moment before the edge of the ice was over water about chest deep or so. So here are all these guys bailing off this icepack, walking through chest deep water with 5 gallon buckets of fish in one hand and all there gear in the other. For the others that wouldn't jump, the coast gaurd had to rescue, which will cost them 150 bucks.

I would say during thaws like this in the middle of winter, stay away from anything that conducts heat( docks, shorline, trees, etc.). Also springs and current, these will be the first to become unsafe and dangerous.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts