21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24,497 Posts
pretty truthful brewski lol

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Hell, that's thick ice! What's fun is icing it when the lid is 1 to 1 1/2" and an ice quake roars through!
Not fun when you gotta keep your eye on 4 kiddos!

I only had one scary moment Last year at Evergreen when my 7 year old, the most fearless of the group, was squatting on the edge splashing his hand in the open water.

Turned my back for a few seconds. Never had any other issue but I'd still prefer 3-4" so I don't have to worry as much.

When Evergreen was packed in December I took my mom and the whole family. Super slow day but they had fun. My mom got to experience an ice quake and see a huge crack form in front of her. My daughter, walking back to the car, stepped in an ice hole and went up to her hip! She was fine but it scared her for a brief moment.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Not fun when you gotta keep your eye on 4 kiddos!

I only had one scary moment Last year at Evergreen when my 7 year old, the most fearless of the group, was squatting on the edge splashing his hand in the open water.

Turned my back for a few seconds. Never had any other issue but I'd still prefer 3-4" so I don't have to worry as much.

When Evergreen was packed in December I took my mom and the whole family. Super slow day but they had fun. My mom got to experience an ice quake and see a huge crack form in front of her. My daughter, walking back to the car, stepped in an ice hole and went up to her hip! She was fine but it scared her for a brief moment.
Yup, thin ice is no place for kiddos when you're out having fun.

If you're fishing with young kids, Skagway is a great place. Just go out about 100-150 feet from the parking lot about 1/2 way to the spillway and about 50 feet or less out from the little hill. Only downside is to stay back from the spillway quite a ways as it never really freezes completely. Easy walk and quick way back to the vehicle when they tire. Caught hundreds of stockers there over the years. Bring the sleds, cause the kids get bored quick and a little sledding breaks up the monotony for them.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'll meet you there Dallas we can go look for bears. I forget what's it's called but because of lack of oxygen pretty much all of the fish are within 12 fow during the winter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Skim ice on a few puddles at St. Vrain. Literally puddles though, not the actual ponds :)

My guides iced up Saturday morning hucking metal but it warmed up (and got muddy) around 10.
very interested in trying out ice fishing at st vrain. it is close and easy for me to get too. question how do i know when we can fish there, and what ponds to fish in. don't care what i catch as long is it is something.

·
Registered
795 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts