Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went fishing on Black friday at a lake that is only about 30 minutes drive from me. I had heard there are Tigers in this lake and I've always wanted to catch one, so that's what I set out to do.

I've been here before in the summer fly fishing, always caught brookies, but have never ice it.

After parking I had to hike 1.25 Miles, started around 7,200 feet and hiked up to about 7,800 feet. It's not a very long hike, but with all the fresh snow and the steep incline while pulling my sled it kicked my ass. I had some hip pain by the time I got to the lake, from walking duck footed so I didn't slide backwards with every step.

Anyway, the ice was OK, 4-5" and the fishing was decent. Took me 20 minutes to get my first fish, which happened to be a TIGER! I was PUMPED! Hooting and hollaring like a crazy person. Every other fish was a brookie. I had a dead stick set with a waxie, that caught 1 fish, the 4 other's came on an ice jig I tied (pic below) tipped with a waxie and actively jigged.

This is the first time I've fished with a sonar (bought a really really old Vex recently), and man was it a blast! I don't think I would have caught those 4 fish on my jigging rod without it. Getting to watch them come in, move down, and then drop the jig on their nose was so cool.

Caught 5 fish between 10-1. By the time 1:00 rolled around I noticed the ice was only 3" and starting to get sketchy, so I called it a day.

Tiger.jpg

Brookei.jpg

FOD.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts