Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jevan couldn't go, BOTTOM FEEDER won't step a foot on ice ::), I had plans w/ Jim, who ended up having to work... :(

I was just going to hit a local pond for an hour or two. Brian texted that he might meet us..

Anthony called and asked if I wanted to hit a lake (Crappie are one of my favorite fish to chase, but I've never caught one through the ice, and he knew a spot where they were biting).

It would take me over an hour and a half to get to th lake to meet Kokaneeking and Catfishking..

A lake I' never fished before, a chance to catch Crappie in Febuary, and I always learn fishing w/ those guys..

I was on my way ;D

Anthony was the first one there. I called him from the parking lot, and I think he had a fish on then. He had a few on the ice, and was reeling in another when we walked up ;D He had also released a couple of Largemouth Bass

He was nice enough to let me use his Vex to get into fish :-[

Brian had showed me how to use one last winter in shallower water. Anthony gave me some tips, andd after I missed a couple FISH ON! ;D First fish I've ever caught at this lake.

Tony had showed up, and was also learning Vex skills

Hook N Line and his buddy Cher, have been some of my fishing idols for years. Their posts have always inspired me to chase bigger fish (I said chase, not catch ;)) Anyone remember Fisher32's post w/ the Wiper next to the Pepsi boxes :eek:
Tony had shared a really nice Bass lake w/ us years ago that quickly became a favorite of my and JWurgafts family to fish. It's now private, but we caught a lot of nice fish at that lake back in the day...

Kokanee continued to slam the Perch, but the rest of us struggled (there were a couple other guys fishing the lake. One of them did catch a Bluegill). Then he got into Crappie..

and another Bass (I took pics, because I've never iced a Bass either (lost one at the hole once.. :()

For the rest of us it was pretty slow, watched a ton of Geese fly over (had to be distracting Max :D)

I managed another Perch, just as Brian was showing up

We fished till sunset. A few more Perch were landed (just not by me :D), and Kokanee got into more decent sized Crappie.

So, I probably spent more driving than fishing, and I still haven't caught a Bass or Crappie through the ice...

Was it worth it...? Of course! I got out on the ice, I learned more about a lake that's w/in 2 hours from Estes in one night w/ the Fogul brothers than I probably would have in quite a few trips by myself, got to hang out w/ Hook N Line, and I wasn't skunked ;D

Great fishing w/ you Brian, and Anthony (thanks!), and nice talking with you Tony.

One downfall... I asked my wife to tape the Red Wings game for me. I assumed that she'd realize that if I was asking her to tape a game that she'd realize I wasn't planning on being home by then.. ::) Anyway, the roads in Estes were getting really bad, and she thought I shoulda called (the roads weren't bad till I got close) Anyway, she was pretty mad, so I thought I'd better wait before telling her that I need to buy a 3 or 4 hundred dollar Vexlar :D

I know some of you will wonder what lake this was.. Unfortunatly, I don't want to break any kind of code by telling you ;)

I appologize, my pics weren't that great. Not much time, and I really wanted to cath a Crappie.. Also, the kids and I drove through the park (Rocky Mountain) tonight getting wildlife (Elk) pictures to post w/ this. Unfortunatly, our new computer might be jacked.. :mad: It won't my SD card. I'm worried because when we first bought one of these computers, we had to exchange it, because it wouldn't read our camera cards.. :-\

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Re: Icing Perch, Crappie, & Bass, w/ the Fogul brothers, & muskie hunter (pictures)

I heard the edge is soft as they're lettin water in. Any problem gettin on or off? Good job, thinkin of headin up there, have a new listing just a few blocks away.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Re: Icing Perch, Crappie, & Bass, w/ the Fogul brothers, & muskie hunter (pictures)

Good job on keeping the location a secret ;)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts

nice fishing with you james and muskie hunter and hooknline tony that was my worst day out there so i had to redeem my self yesterday at boyd lets all fish again when ever your free

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Thanks for the report...good as always.

D.J.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Hey, I liked those pictures.
Nice report. I still haven't iced a bass or crappie as I tend to fish for other species, man, in addition to walleye's... what the heck kinda ice fisherman am I!?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts

another nice picture filled report. zen is teaching me the flash player style now. ;D

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

I know what you mean, James. I iced that lake with the king boys last Saturday, prior to huge snowstorm, and they totally outfished me, which is no surprise. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have had a delicious perch fry. (I caught one. ???) Thanks for the donation to a worthy cause, Brian and Anthony.
Also was nice to fish again with littlemac, and his friend and wife. (that lady can catch fish!!)
Great pics! note...if the computer can't read your card,..can't you still hook up camera to USB port?

And double note,..hope your wife is again on your good side, and anyway, the Wings lost! ;D

·
Registered
460 Posts

Nice looking fish. All ways great pics and detail james I love yur posts

·
Registered
193 Posts

it was a fun day but not many fish being caught but there were alot there.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I was out there on Sunday the 6th, all the fish were biting so light it seemed if you didnt have spring bobbers and a hut you would never know. Managed to ice 34 perch, 4 crappie, a bass and a sunfish between the 3 of us. Around the same spot you guys were. A buddy down on the east side of the dam told me he got into crappie, wiper and a few small (10-12") walleye. Sometimes I wish it would stay colder down here longer, but I'm ready to get the boat out. Nice report, great pics!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts