Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Half laker/half??

Forum buddy of mine caught this today out of the Hiwasssee River. White fin-tips say "char", but flat tail and mouth do not say Laker...

Brookie? No colors, this time of year?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Seems like about one out of every 1,000 or so brookies that I've seen apparently have some kind of rare genetic variation where none of the colored pigment is there. I've seen them in several places. I think that's what that is.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon! So he caught a 1 in 1000 brookie, eh?

When I first saw it, I got excited... Thought he had caught the first Mack ever taken out of the Hiwassee... But the jaw and tail betrayed this fish as an impostor.

But an "albino" (for lack of a better term) brookie is pretty cool as well.

Appreciate the ID.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Thanks Jon! So he caught a 1 in 1000 brookie, eh?

When I first saw it, I got excited... Thought he had caught the first Mack ever taken out of the Hiwassee... But the jaw and tail betrayed this fish as an impostor.

But an "albino" (for lack of a better term) brookie is pretty cool as well.

Appreciate the ID.
Go buy some scratch off lottery tickets!!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have caught many many brookies in all color phases in East Tennessee, and while there are some laker lakes just to the north of where he caught that, m pretty sure that's just a beast of a TN brookies.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
A lot of color variations in brookies. Here's a few I caught all from the same pond. The one to the right of the rod has the colors of the fish in your pic.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hobie. There is at least SOME orange/red on that fish though... The one Rusty caught was completely bereft of color, other than the gray and white. No orange in the fins or tail, no ruddiness in the underbelly.

You're right though... Lots of differing colorations on brooks.

Here's my FAVORITE colors. :)

They're pretty from up there in that reservoir. ;)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Over in and around Cherokee almost all of the brookies are the color your friend caught. Where was he when he got it? It may have been recently stocked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts