Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll just put this idea to the forum directly, though I have tried a few different times to run it by the appropriate authority ... without ever a response, positive or negative.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm the only one on the forum who feels like they have seen the "Jerkbaits Suck!" article oh ... about a billion, make that 2 billion times when visiting the website. I'm not saying it isn't a good article, but wouldn't a little more variety be nice? Every other blue moon a different article appears (usually the one by Bernie's wife) but that's about it.

So I have wondered: With the wealth of angling knowledge and experience represented on this great Colorado fishing site, why couldn't various members occasionally contribute original articles based upon their particular areas of expertise? I think it would be interesting, helpful, and fun. And preferable to always seeing the same thing. The authors wouldn't have to divulge any secrets or specifics they did not wish to, but still could share tips that they have learned that would help others. I won't here mention articles that I can imagine by certain CF members that would make first-rate reading, but I'm sure you get the idea.

It seems that perhaps a long time ago this was kind of the idea (judging from the few articles one sees when you click on "Articles" above "Jerkbaits Suck!"). If so, would it be worth another go?

Just a thought. Would value those of others. :)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh ok, I will give a few possible sample articles (and authors):

- My Personal Favorite Types of Fishing, and Why -- Fishingal
- Most Common Ice Fishing Mistakes I’ve Seen – Baby Huey
- When Nighttime Can Be the Right Time – SoleSearcher
- Tips for the Perfect Mountain Angling Excursion – Tangler
- Adapting to Seasonal Changes in Wiper Fishing – River Runner
- Why I Prefer Jigging over Trolling for Lake Trout – GoFindYourOwnFish
- Pursuing Big Pike: Hair or Hardware? – FlyFishGeek
- What I Love Best about Swimbait Fishing – Fish Dr.
- 5 Solid Fly Choices for Beginning Tiers – Kimo
- Preferred Setup for Trophy Cattin’ – Mad Catter
- Fresh and Saltwater Angling Compared – Salty Dog
- Carp: The Rodney Dangerfield of Colorado Gamefish – Swim Bait
- When To/Not To Hire a Guide – FishLip

These were just ‘titles’ off the top of my head. Of course there are so many more one could add, and many different CF members could write the above articles as well (not just the people I’ve listed).

S

·
0 Posts
Hop, one way to not see the article everytime, is to change your quicklink from CF . com to CF. com/forum ;) It jumps you right to the forum list.

I've always voted to get rid of "off topic" alltogether. Seems this is the playground for those who create havok and disgust on the forum anyhow, not to mention at least half the people who post in Off Topic do not post elsewhere nor do they post anything relevant anywhere else, if ever.
There are some great topics and discussions here, yet they always seem to be derailed by " the usual suspects". The rest of the forum is relatively tame, with occational outbursts either in jest or personal. But nowhere as rampant as Off Topic. Hate me if you want, but you know its true.

Personally Hop, i really like your ideas, and think they would be a great addition. Only question is, who gets to edit, maintain..... etc. Don and us Mods. While we dont all have tons of time, i do think it is doable on a monthly or quarterly basis. Not to mention, as you said, there is a HUGE WEALTH of angling knowledge in this group !! Seasonal specific articles, gear reviews, local insights.... many people here have become "experts" in one way or another, its very evident when they post and the hit count and replies skyrocket. Some very intelligent and well done reports consistantly come up, along with great Q/A throughout the post.

So, fellow Mods, what do you think ?

GREAT topic Hop ! I love it when people actually think

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Yep if people want to write them I am all for it...and who cares if it is an article or post?...if someone writes an articleesque post I will sticky it somewhere so everyone can read it and it stays up for awhile...an informative how to do it like Donald's on jerkbait fishing...

I dont know about getting rid of off topic but I am for getting rid of political and religious out of off topic...and maybe the few that only post there would find a new home...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
That's the way the site was originally. There were periodic articles by a few members. Life and Off Topic seem to have gotten in the way of that...

;D

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
I think it's a solid idea, but is there some way that fly fisherman can post articles that the spin and bait guys can't access?
Really? ::)
What it going to be called? How to catch small fish on small flies ;D

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
longdraw said:
LMAO funk! The baits I throw are bigger than your target species...
it seems like you and Neal are very concerned with size of your baits, maybe you're trying to make up for some deficiency elsewhere in your lives?
;)
Only you would make that original post on this site and not expect to get a negative reaction ::)

I have nothing against fly fisherman!! I was one for 10 years! To each his own! But I wouldn't trade my seven 10lb plus walleyes for all the 12-20 inch trout in Colorado!! Mainly because I can't stand to fish with snobs!!!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Lighten up, buddy. Did you really this I was serious about actually limiting access to information based on the way you choose to fish? I guess I gave you guys too much credit, my mistake.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FunkMasterSnowshoe said:
Lighten up, buddy. Did you really this I was serious about actually limiting access to information based on the way you choose to fish? I guess I gave you guys too much credit, my mistake.
You need to put a smiley at the end or we don't get the humor down here below the line. ;D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts