Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Fellas,

My old man and brother who now reside in Florida are headed out here for a 3 night trip in July. I booked a float trip for them on the Gunnison one day and we want to rent a boat and the three of us fish a reservoir/lake together the following day. Taylor and 11 Mile have rental boats large enough for three dudes but I have zero idea on the fishing there. I fish 90% of the time on moving water and lakes/reservoirs are pretty foreign to me. I assume two guys will be chucking bait or lures (gotta borrow or rent that gear, damnit) and hoping 1 guy can toss some streamers from the boat. Wish Spinney had boat rentals but it appears they do not. Camping two nights in the Almont/Taylor River area so we'd be driving to the lake from there in the morning and fish the afternoon.

Yes, I'm trolling for info here. Not looking for your honey holes (do those exist on lakes?) or favorite lagoons to fish, but recommendations on how 11 mile and Taylor fish and if you know of any other options for lakes with boat rentals.

Much appreciated in advance for responses.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
If you don't have a boat, and you don't have the equipment to fish from a boat, and you don't have the knowledge of where to fish on said lake, it might be worth looking into booking a guide instead.

Tightline does Spinney trips. I doubt it would be much more expensive than renting quality equipment.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you're the type of family that goes with the flow and takes challenges in stride, than rent a boat. Could be an epic day. But...could be a major cluster too for a variety of reasons,which I'm sure you've thought about.

After floating the gunnison, I'd stay around there. Pike at Taylor rez could be fun? Just keep it simple, less planning may be more fun. If you do get the boat, bionic man is right.Might not be that much more for a guide than renting. Either way, can't go wrong with fishing with family.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Taylor would be my choice-always caught lots of fish there-pike and trout.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
nate with tightlines outdoors will take you for cold water or warm water fishing with good equipment

Bernie keefe will take you for lake trout also with good equipment

both are high quality guides

·
Registered
624 Posts
You don't need a guided trip. Anytime i've been on 11 mile i did fine without a guide. Just waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rent right at Taylor Marina - they'll hook you up with gear...I've rented their pontoon boats and it was very reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts