Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my wife to agree on a camper road trip. My local wade waters are all starting to flood and it is still cold. "I've got to get out of this place if..." She agreed to May 26 to June 1
I was thinking Creede, Lake city, Estes, navaho dam, Salida, grey reef. But I think I am still looking at fast water.
Any sage ideas are greatly appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
The Conejos below Platora reservoir may be a possibility. Projected flows here. Click on water year.

http://www.dwr.state.co.us/SurfaceWater/data/detail_graph.aspx?ID=CONPLACO&MTYPE=DISCHRG

If you click on the basin at the top of the page..you can check out whatever rivers you choose and their projected flows for the time you'll be vacationing. Just click on water year at the bottom of the table for the projections.

Some records come up in this format instead...in this case scroll down to the daily discharge based upon 29 years of records and click on.. more..You'll then get the projections for your time frame.

Before clicking more..

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?09171100

After clicking more..

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/dvstat/?site_no=09171100&por_09171100_1=345756,00060,1

A little bit of playing around with it and you might find what you're looking for.

For a quick reference you can start here ...you will be redirected to the usqs site when clicking on the river.

www.wildtroutonthefly.com/currentfishingreports/currentriverflowrates.html

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
The Frying Pan will be running faster this year. They can only release so much into the Ark. The Pan is going to have to absorb some too.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The Frying Pan will be running faster this year. They can only release so much into the Ark. The Pan is going to have to absorb some too.
just curious. How does the Pan and the Ark tie into each other? Is there a tunnel from Reudi to Homestake? I didn't realize the 2 rivers influenced each other?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Yes, it drains into Forebay from Turquoise , and then into Twin Lakes which is released in the Ark.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are set on rivers, then the list has been pretty much covered. However, even those will be higher this year. This should be a significant runoff.

However, if you are okay with Lakes, then Delany Buttes, Spinney, 11 Mile, etc. etc. would be better choices.

Or just enjoy the time around the campfire with your wife....

·
Registered
301 Posts
The snotel map looked like S. Colorado didn't get nearly as much snow, and N. New Mexico is dry as a bone, so think Conejos, Rio Grande, Animas?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The snotel map looked like S. Colorado didn't get nearly as much snow, and N. New Mexico is dry as a bone, so think Conejos, Rio Grande, Animas?
^^What he said^^ May even get lucky and catch part of the salmon fly hatch down south. Conejos, Piedra, and the Rio around South Fork ought to fish pretty well that time of year with the smallish snow pack in the area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, it drains into Forebay from Turquoise , and then into Twin Lakes which is released in the Ark.

That's not exactly true.

The two main western-slope (Colorado river) darinages that feed Turquoise lake are the upper frypan wilderness, and the eagle/home-stake project. The water is divered thru tunnels in their head waters.

Ruedi resivoir was built to off-set the water removed to by this flow which is sent into the Arkansas river drainage by way of Turquoise lake.

But there is no direct tunnel from Ruedi to Turqouise lake.

There is a tunnel directly frome Homestake res. to Turqouise lake, However.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
That's not exactly true.

The two main western-slope (Colorado river) darinages that feed Turquoise lake are the upper frypan wilderness, and the eagle/home-stake project. The water is divered thru tunnels in their head waters.

Ruedi resivoir was built to off-set the water removed to by this flow which is sent into the Arkansas river drainage by way of Turquoise lake.

But there is no direct tunnel from Ruedi to Turqouise lake.

There is a tunnel directly frome Homestake res. to Turqouise lake, However.
I never mentioned Ruedi. I was talking about the high snow pack in the Frying Pan area. The snow pack drains into Ruedi, and also gets into Turquoise which then gets into the Ark. I'm saying the Frying Pan is going to have absorb some of that snow pack.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hobie- thanks for the guide to the proper gauging stations.
It looks like flows are running earlier this year. I guess that I'll just have to wait and watch. If Navaho Dam is the choice, can it be fished reasonably well without a guide?

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
No problem. As far as the San Juan..never fished it. But, a lot of guys on the site have. Thinking of stopping there coming back from Sedona in middle to late may and from what I understand they flush the canyon once a year around that time..hoping to be there before that happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts