Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I'm getting my grandpa's old ultralight rod on the water this week, and as I started getting it ready, I realized that it has no identifying marks on it... I don't know what it is. Perhaps an old Wright and McGill?

Anyway, here are a few pics. I know swimbait and a few others are versed in this kind of thing, so perhaps someone has seen this rod before and can help me out.

Pic #1: This is the rod just above the grip. There was once a brand name or something on this gold sticker, but now there is nothing.

Pic #2: This is the first guide... I really like the wrapping and style of the guide!

Pic #3: This is the grip and reel seat.

Pic #4: Nice spongy fiberglass action!

Thanks in advance, guys.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
South Bend is looking the most promising so far... Haven't found the exact rod yet.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It doesn't say anything, kraz... Here's what it looks like. (pic 1 from earlier)

Looks like at one point there was probably printing on this gold sticker/label... but now, there is no print, or even impressions of imprintation.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Not a Wright & McGill, they always had stamped writing on their vintage rods. It looks to me like it is a Garcia Mitchell lightweight, Garcia had decals on their rods.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here are some picts of my old Berkley/Winfield fly rod. The wraps look similar and the sticker is the same shape.
I don't know anything about Winfield, never heard of them.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lots of good thoughts here... Berkley, Garcia, Fenwick, and Shakespeare all had some similarities, but after an hour of studying images online, I still cannot find the exact one.

infuriating!! :)

I'll keep looking though... My cousin Michael has the twin to this rod. Perhaps his has SOME remaining identifying marks on it. I'll call him tomorrow. Perhaps he can shed some light. Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the closest thing I can find, but I cannot seem to find the EXACT model.

The rod appears to be an "Olympic spinning rod" in the 2000 series. Here are some pix.

The top rod in this picture is in the same series, but not the same rod

The top rod in THIS pic is also of the same series, and it MAY be the exact same rod.

Here are some pix from an eBay listing, similar.

Still investigating... will post when I know more.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking more closely, there is no cork on my fishing rod... So that Olympic 2000 (while it looks very similar) in the Field and Stream article probably isn't it.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay... here's the latest.

I got with my cousin in Alabama (who has the twin rod to mine) and his label has JUUUUST a little bit of print left over on it... enough to confirm my preliminary guess.

The only thing I can make out is "Olympic Fishing Co"

No model #

Looking at the 2570-X on eBay, it has the same grip, reel seat, very similar guides and wrapping, same type of label.... But it's a 4 piece and it's too long to be mine.

So I'm looking for an Olympic rod with the same grip and reel seat as thie 2570-X, but in the 5 foot UL model.

Can't find **** online about this company or find model numbers... still looking though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts