Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...do you think they might hold it somewhere far, far, from the nearest lake trout fisherman? That's what they did in 2009. So for 2010, how about, oh, say, Rocky Ford or La Junta? There isn't a lake trout for a couple hundred miles of there. Even better, how about Las Animas?

Well, guess what.....

COLORADO WILDLIFE COMMISSION OCTOBER WORKSHOP

LAS ANIMAS, Colo.--The Lake Christine Shooting Range, Blue Mesa Lake Trout Removal Project and DOW Landowner Voucher Program headline the agenda for the Colorado Wildlife Commission's Oct. 7 workshop in Las Animas.

The workshop will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Bent's Fort Inn, 10950 U.S. Hwy. 50.

The Commission will consider regulatory changes to modify weekend shooting hours at the Lake Christine Shooting Range located at the Basalt State Wildlife Area in Eagle County. In September, the town of Basalt submitted a citizen petition asking the Wildlife Commission to close the range at 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Currently, the range is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. In its petition, the town cites growing concerns about noise generated from the shooting range.

Also during the workshop, DOW staff will update the Commission on the status of the DOW's Blue Mesa Lake Trout Removal Project. The focus of the presentation will include recent findings from a collaborative research study conducted by the DOW and Colorado State University, detailing the impacts of lake trout predation on kokanee salmon at Blue Mesa Reservoir in Gunnison.

DOW aquatic biologists have determined that an overabundance of lake trout is adversely impacting the reservoir's kokanee salmon population. To restore balance, the DOW is removing some lake trout from the reservoir. The removal project began in the fall of 2009 and will continue indefinitely each year until DOW aquatic biologists determine that predation on kokanee salmon is declining.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Makes me sick to my stomach to know they are trying to eradicate those beautiful creatures... friggin huge fish with giant yaps, nonetheless beautiful creatures.. If you have caught one, you know what I'm talking about..

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Re: If the DOW wanted to limit public access to a Blue Mesa Lake Trout workshop.

Of course, it was planned that way, the commission meetings are open to the public and public opinion as I have spoken at commission meetings, for the most part they are puppets that do whatever the dow suggests and limiting public input makes there agenda easier.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Im with gofindyourounfish. why have it out in the middle of no were. lets have the meetings close to the project. Locals can give better in put on were the lake trout are and sometimes have better ideas.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Re: If the DOW wanted to limit public access to a Blue Mesa Lake Trout workshop.

cocoking said:
Im with gofindyourounfish. why have it out in the middle of no were. lets have the meetings close to the project. Locals can give better in put on were the lake trout are and sometimes have better ideas.
because they don't want local input that's the point.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
redleader said:
cocoking said:
because they don't want local input that's the point.
i agree , they dont want to hear it from the fisherman they will impact , as much i enjoy kokanee , i like lake trout also and for them to do what they are doing is awful , if u are puting kokes in a lake with predators you know what is going to happen , look at carter lake , they put the kokes in there and they become walleye food , if u want a good koke lake and good returns dont stock them with predators

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jesus christ said:
sounds like you Laker fans need to pony up for a morning of vengeance by taking a dent out of the sand bass population in john martin that day.
I'm out of state on business that day..... :mad:

I like the field level biologists I've met, and believe they are committed to doing their best to do a good job, but the levels above them, that's a different story.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

I like the field level biologists I've met, and believe they are committed to doing their best to do a good job, but the levels above them, that's a different story.

[/quote]X2 but just cause Shermy wants to eliminate pike statewide and wishes they never stocked lakers doesn't make him a bad guy ::)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

redleader said:
X2 but just cause Shermy wants to eliminate pike statewide and wishes they never stocked lakers doesn't make him a bad guy ::)
[/quote]sherms world revolves around the rainbow trout, the TU boys over here in his home town of Montrose worship him.....anything else must die......

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Wow, that is blatant and criminal, and I am/was a DOW supporter. There is some really underhanded stuff going on.

I think someone/we should form a organized complaint, state government, news media, wildlife personality's who have a blog, and DOW leadership.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You guys can theorize about sinister conspiracies all you want, but the truth is that the locations of the commission meetings are set long before anyone knows what is going to be on the agenda. Just watch as we get to the end of the year: the meeting locations for the whole coming year will be posted. No one knew last December what was going to be discussed at the October commission workshop. It's the commission's effort to involve folks in all parts of the state, and not be overly Denver-centric. Just another case of "you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't . . . "

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ewert said:
Just another case of "you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't . . . "
Not at all. If you want meaningful public participation then address issues of importance to a geographical community or an angling community in an area of the state where those with the biggest stake can attend.

Coincidence, you say, that once again the Blue Mesa removals come up far from Blue Mesa? Once, I could believe, but this is 2 years in a row that the Blue Mesa removal issue has been at the top of an agenda in a location far from any real lake trout population, or lake trout fishermen.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
That may be true Ewert, but someone missed the boat some where along the line. Don is right, some of the stake holders are left sitting at home. By all appearances those being left behind are those that have the most to loose.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, since you're left sitting at home, be sure to stream the audio of the meeting live off the DOW website and make your comments accordingly to the commission. The information that is conveyed to the commission at that meeting will be either information that you've heard at local meetings already (but that the commissioners haven't necessarily heard), or information you'll hear at local meetings over the next year. But: I'm sure that if the fine lake trout anglers of Las Animas were privy to this conversation, they would be deeply offended.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ewert said:
Well, since you're left sitting at home, be sure to stream the audio of the meeting live off the DOW website and make your comments accordingly to the commission. The information that is conveyed to the commission at that meeting will be either information that you've heard at local meetings already (but that the commissioners haven't necessarily heard), or information you'll hear at local meetings over the next year. But: I'm sure that if the fine lake trout anglers of Las Animas were privy to this conversation, they would be deeply offended.
Both of them. I was raised there and most all the guys fish JM or Blue Lake, not Blue Mesa. (I know satire when I see it though, good response Mr. E. :D) BTW, would it really matter?

I attended both roundtables concerning Blue (at Gunnison and Montrose) and there was huge consensus that the limit on kokanee would be reduced at the next oppurtunity to be in-line with their reduced population. If we go on a laker killing spree on this lake then shouldn't the harvest be reduced if we really care about their numbers? Virtually everyone agreed on this and the CDOW officials there even nodded vigorously when this was brought up. Yet the new regs don't change the kokanee limit one bit. Now how's that for a slap in the face for both laker and kokanee fishermen of the future?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

thanks for piping in Jon, if it is just a coincidence on the scheduling of meetings we appreciate you straitening us out on that and the consensus is that workshops and meetings on sensitive matters like this should be in like regions, but brown time has it right, What would it matter? I went to round tables in gunnison years ago and the issues of kokanee limits, temporary river closures and enforcement have been brought up for years and we see nothing done except the net killing of lake trout, more liberal lake trout limits with no limits on the trophy size fish they claim to be managing for, still no reduction in kokanee bag limits and allowed harassment of the small percentage of spawners that made a 20-30 mile run at the hatchery area, a lot of people are disgusted with the way things are there. I know that is not your region and on this part of the state when we changed lake trout regs we also lowered kokanee limits, have miles of temporary closures on the inlets of our egg production lakes and have the best enforcement people that have a real impact. Let us know your ideas and if we can get a portable egg taking operation going this year at wolford to help increase the egg takes.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Steve, we'll definitely be taking as many eggs as we can from Wolford this year, running traps. This is looking like it's going to be a very bad year statewide for eggs. We're going to be lucky if we get enough eggs just to replenish our brood lakes up here, let alone BM.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts

Ewert said:
Steve, we'll definitely be taking as many eggs as we can from Wolford this year, running traps. This is looking like it's going to be a very bad year statewide for eggs. We're going to be lucky if we get enough eggs just to replenish our brood lakes up here, let alone BM.
Let us know what we can do to help and support your efforts be it more volunteers and organization for egg taking operations to harvesting more small to medium sized lakers due to continued high water level concerns.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts