Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be turning 40 this year and would like to fish for some hogs. I don't really know about the options as I rarely pay to fish. I just thought it would be nice to treat myself. So I am curious what are some of your opinions, and personal experiences. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have some ideas, but it depends on when and for how long....what time of year are you going to be doing this trip and what is the amount of time available to you...are you strictly set on those three states? surrounding states that would add few hours drive time have many hoggy options to pick from as well, but provide a few more details about what your working with in terms of experience and what all and I'd happily tell you what i thought.

·
Registered
382 Posts
First it would be Colorado. Why go somewhere else when we have so much....
My choice would be one of the longer floats down the Gunnison Black Canyon during the prime season. Just something on my bucket list.

Bob

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking along the lines of paying for access to wade private water, not necessarly guide service. I have no problem staying in CO, was just opening my options up a little what is a day drive either way? I have read about some places with incredible fishing that manage the number of anglers per day. A super sick spring creek would be sweet! I usually dont pay to fish but thought it might be fun to fish a place I might not otherwise. I wouldn't turn my nose up at some pellet fed monsters for a day. Remember I will be treating myself for surviving as long as I have, which if you know me is quite a feat.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Yo, AA, Talked to a certain someone about the North Fork Ranch today... $165/person with a 5 person min... It has gotten pretty steep to fish there... and the fish are ok, but I think they have gone too far... won't be going back I don't think.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I fished 3forks on an invite/competition If memory serve me correct the place was $900 a day rod fee.
the mouse killed it in the middle of the day
$0.02 Montana --- Bull Trout

S

·
0 Posts
$200 RT to Milwaukee, hit 3 of the rivers within 30mins of the airport, and youll be into 10-30+lb fish all day long Oct - April. Chinook, 3 Strains of Steelhead, German and Seeforellen Browns, Coho. And best part - its FREE and you can fish private to the high water mark.

·
Registered
110 Posts
$0.02 Montana... Bull Trout... Illegal...
Unless you go up into the Bob Marshall or some other random areas that I'm unaware of.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Maybe profits from the "Protect our Rivers" license plate should fund a campaign to keep water access open to us common folk. Let go of the waters that are already snatched up: Float thru them and hope your boat doesn't spring a leak and touch bottom.

The occasional civil disobedience can make some noise and draw media attention: definitely needed this day and age to get attention to any grassroots effort. 720: set up "raft in" and I'll be there on my Walmart blow up with a 20 lb anchor and a 30 pack of 'Stones.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I would go to WY wind river range and rent some horses and cover some major ground in the back country. That would be a trip you would never forget.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I think the biggest thing is when you are going to take this trip... I do have to say a Early Aug float down the reef is a heck of a way to plug a toad on hoppers and such...

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I can not imagine why anyone would pay to fish the North Fork Ranch or Boxwood... ugly harelipped fish with no color and full of gill lice. Add in that there is next to no aquatic insect life in that section of the North Fork so all they get is Alpo, and well, yippee!

I would go fish a spring creek. We don't have any here, and they are the bee's knees buddy. Sure, tailwaters have similar features, but they just don't quite match up 100%... Spring creeks are a hoot.

That Milwaukee trip sounds pretty badass, I will be doing that one in the next couple years fo' shizzle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts