Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could chose one place to retire and fish the rest of your days where would it be and why?

My choice right now (I am only 28 I got a while before I retire) would be Lake Fork in southeast Texas. I took a vacation in Dallas a couple of years ago and me and my wife spent a few days down there. It was great!!!! I didn't kill it bass fishing but we did alright. I did catch a 7 pound largemouth. That lake has tons of Crappie's, Catfish, and Bass. There is a ton of 12-14 pound bass in there. The other reason I like it there is the housing is a lot cheaper in Yantis Texas then it is in Colorado. You can get a nice house within a few minutes from the lake for 140,000-200,000.

I am just wondering if any of you guys have given this subject any thought.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I have 2 options

First Northern Alabama. My in-laws live there on the Tennessee River and the fishing is awesome. It gets hot and humid in the summer but the other 3 seasons are great. I would move there for the much lower cost of living and very high quality fishing. I would put up with the in-laws if they are still alive in 22 years and 4 months.

The other choice would be around where I grew up. Northeastern South Dakota. Bitter cold winters, hot humid summers, cool damp springs and falls. The worlds greatest pheasant hunting. Tons of lakes to fish year round for bass, crappie, walleye, bluegill, perch, pike, bullhead.........Ice thick enough to drive a bus on in the winter. (drive right to the fish) Lots of room on the lakes even on weekends because there are soooooo many lakes for fishng and boating and the population is........lets put it this way the entire state has 700,000 people in it!

Now that I think about it to hell with Alabama, South Dakota it is!

Dan

PS I also miss fishing with my brothers in SD

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Well i guess if i was old and feeble id go someplace warm...florida most likely, as i never get tired of fishing for snook, redfish, and the other species that abound down there....i gotta say id have to head back west on occasion though to get my trout fix.

retirement...man, whats that? i thought you worked until you died..so therefore i try to live like im retired now ;)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Re: If you could move to one place to retire and fish the rest of your days ....

Somewhere in the mountains here in Colorado, pretty with lots of fishing and a good woman to take care of me and an old lazy black lab to sit on the porch with me and I will be happy for the rest of my years.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Deweese up in westcliffe. That is my all time favorite fishing spot and it is my dream someday to live in Westcliffe.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Re: If you could move to one place to retire and fish the rest of your days ....

Rottal said:
retirement...man, whats that? i thought you worked until you died..so therefore i try to live like im retired now ;)
Me too.

Sunrise

Moms front yard

Moms house from the water

Getting ready for departure

On the fishing grounds err water

My Cousin with and a visiting laker

·
Registered
9,266 Posts

For me it would be Bella Coola,BC, Canada. Great runs of salmon and not to far from the Ocean.

To many bears for me but im sure I could get over it.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
lucky7 said:
Craig N said:
Deweese up in westcliffe. That is my all time favorite fishing spot and it is my dream someday to live in Westcliffe.
Craig:

I think Deweese is awesome as well...Planning on ice fishing next week!
been here off and on since '98 full time since early 04 dont regret 1 min

moving here is easy land/homes are cheap compared to the city (did you ever notice city is a four letter word?)

the only hard part is finding a way to support the habit without having to drive to the city but it can be done ;D

catch ya later, headed to the lake

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I love Gunnison! The only problem is I am not to fond of the cold. In the summer Gunnison has it all. great hunting in the fall too. I made a trip out there for 3 days last summer. I stayed in a little cabin near the Taylor River it was great.

N

·
0 Posts
Two places, I would have to do both.
Somewhere on the Colorado, Kremmling or Granby, and Missoula(probably Drummond or Deer Lodge, maybe Warm Springs)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Fifth Wheel

Back in 1999, at the height of the dot-com bubble, I like many others were thinking about early retirement -- HA, what a joke that turned out to be! I think my retirement fund, after ~7 years of further contributions, is finally close to where it was in 1999. So retirement plans for me seem to come and go based on what is going on. These days what appeals to me is buying a one ton truck and a fifth wheel and then pulling the boat behind that. There are just so many lakes to choose from in various areas (Minnesota, Nebraska, Utah/Wyoming and so many more that I have on my list) and this way you could just take your house with you and stop for a few weeks at various places.

If I had to stay in one place, it would be Colorado, though, because of the variety of fishing we have here.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I say again... Alaska! I was up there in September, and you just don't see fishing like that. The weather leaves something to be desired, at times, but the fishing is so good (salt and fresh), that I can overlook that.

·
Registered
862 Posts

some day..... well ill still probably have my home right here in co somewhere in the mountains dont know yet but I would like to buy a RV and travel all over the place and fish and stay in my RV and come back home every few weeks

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

Cutthroat,

Have you lived in Alaska?

Alaska is great in the summer, but it is cold and dark from October through April. Even along the coast it is cold and dark. I don't recall hearing of anyone ice fishing or boat fishing during winter months. I'm sure there are some spots, but you will probably need an extension handle for your auger.

I guess there are a lot of other things like skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling to keep one busy through the winter.

I must be getting old,

Ter

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nope, haven't lived in Alaska, but have visited. Don't know how much I would like the whole midnight sun (and vice versa) thing, but I do like to XC ski and snowshoe. Plus, if you really can't take it, you can travel down the coast to Washington/California or beyond during the winter. Travel is another thing I'd like to do. Afterall, I would be retired, right? The question doesn't specify that you wouldn't travel in your retirement.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

Florida- so many species and huge fish

1 - 20 of 36 Posts