Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had the chance to fish some of the best water in the state and nobody has fished it in several years would you do it? I am talking water that holds several state records (Different species) You could get in trouble and it is going to be hard to access (Several mile hike in the woods no path possible overnight camp)but it could pay off big time. Oh yeah even if i caught a state record there (which is unlikely) I would let it go. I would let everything I caught there go matter of fact. So what do you guys think.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Naw, despite the temptation to do something like that I spend way too much time telling my family "Rules are Rules, and breaking them just because you can get away with it does not make it right". It would just not be right to do. To me it would be like winning a game by cheating. You actually don't win.

Dan

·
Registered
804 Posts
Been there, done it, when I was about 16. It is called the South Slope of Pikes Peak. Only a few species of trout though. There is a statute of limitations, right?  ;D If not the prosecution is only about hearsay. :p As a kid forbidden waters always fished the best! :) Never Private but so called Public but off limits!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
It depends on who owns it. If it was private property and owned by a private citizen then no way. However if it was state or federal owned and the reason it is closed to fishing is because of some kind of bullcrap law I would maybe do it. I guess it depends on what you mean by private.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
"If your not cheating your not trying. And its only cheating if you get caught" -Jim Rome.

:)

Why is it still closed anyways?(If it the same place im thinking of)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
636 Posts
Considering that I am going to be a police officer in less than two years, I don't think I could live with a guilty concious. Otherwise I would do it if it wasn't privately owned someone who bought to have there own privacy.

·
Registered
943 Posts
IF IT WERE PRIVATELY OWNED I WOULD NOT BUT IF IT IS OWNED BY THE GOVERNMENT I MIGHT. WHERES ICE IN THE VEINS WHEN WE NEED HIM?

·
Registered
943 Posts
sorry the accounting software we use here at work makes you use capitals and i forget alot. sorry

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Hmmm... It's a good question because most fishing folks, even those who deny it.... Has pondered this before in their lifetime. I've pondered plenty of times and well.. I've gotten into some things that I shouldn't have before, but after a few lessons learned, you get.. "Scared?" or is it "educated?"

Never received a ticket before for tresspassing, but being 16 and chased by killer mutant guard dogs that appeared out of no where was enough.

That's right, "SCURRED!!"
Why "SCURRED?"
Because it really wasn't "worth it."

It's almost the same thing as the question, "Should I keep this extra fish?" that some will ponder or have pondered before.

I don't know. Nowadays, my belief is "if you take a risk, is it worth it?"
That's all I really have to say. I don't like to shove my beliefs into anyone's dome, but I hope my perspective helps. Sometimes, it takes a little consequence for a person to learn.

Offtopic, but here's an example: I don't go street racing no more and I now drive a truck. I loved the "thrill" and still do love "thrills" but a 12 pt ticket just isn't worth it... Nor is my life or anyone else's. Thank God, I only got as far as a few close calls and nothing more.

HAPPY FISHING GUYS!
1eyeReD

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets just say there is very little risk. If the care taker sees me all I have to do is run back in to the woods. What is he going to do chase me into the middle of the woods. This is real hard for me because I just don't see the harm in what I am thinking about doing. I don't know I guess I have to think a little more about it. ??? ??? ??? Ok I'm done I'm going. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
So much for obeying the rules. Lets all just do what we want, screw the regs. Its a great way to bring up your kids too. Ed

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I was pretty soft spoken on my earlier post.  But I will take a clear stand on this matter.

Sneaking in to fish closed waters is trespassing.  The use of the word sneaking implies a desire to avoid consequences for acting in a less than honorable way.

If you would sneak in to fish in closed waters, where do you draw the line.  taking undersized fish? disregarding creel limits?  poaching an elk?  They are all illegal.  Sportsmen do not behave in this manner.

Its not something I would do.  I hope its not something you would either.  I know alot of us have done things when we were younger, that did not make it right and I do not encourage the younger members of this forum to do something because they are young.  

Maybe I sound a little extreme but this is a black and white issue to me. Whether I agree with the regs, rules or law its wrong until such time they change.

Dan

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Good post Dan. All you potential criminals should read it 2-3 times. :) I'm not a prude but you gotta draw the line somewhere. Ed

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I understand everyones stance on this issue. I also want to say I mean no disrespect to anyone on this site. I would never poach any animals or keep any fish under size either. Like I said before I have nothing but respect for everyone on this site. Can anyone anwser me this. What or who would I hurt if I did this? That is where, for me, I draw the line. It is wrong to trespass. I can not argue that. I just feel that if I fish this area it will not hurt anybody or anything. I do understand what some of you guys are saying though that wrong is wrong no matter what. So I hope that you guys understand that I am not some guy that just breaks all the rules that I don't agree with. I have been thinking about this for a long time and to be honest I haven't made my mind up on weather I am going to do it or not.

·
Registered
804 Posts
   I have never trespassed on an individual?s property, nor would I trespass today on City Property which is off limits. However, when I was a kid I saw how Colorado Springs City Officials and some City Employees used the Colorado Springs Watershed property as there own private hunting and fishing reserves; I therefore,  decided I could also. I wouldn?t recommend anyone doing this and face the possibility of getting caught and losing their fishing or hunting privileges, but I would not pass judgement against someone who does so especially after seeing how these areas are treated as a country club for a select few. If you don?t believe me, hike into any of the access roads during the hunting seasons or spend enough time watching restricted watersheds and as sure as time will tell, there will be City Employees Hunting or Fishing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts