Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally decided to retire from hunting. It's not fun anymore at my age and medical problems.

Fishing suits me better now. I wish I could fly fish as I have in the past but my balance is so bad now that wading is out of the question. I can still fish from banks but they can't be too rocky. Places like Hayden Meadows will work ok. Spin fishing on lakes will always be an option and may be my only option at some point.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Father time catches us all if we live long enough, be careful out there. Good luck and stay off those rocks.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Good luck out there, Pete. My wife is a case manager and processes elderly folks who need to go into nursing homes. I have been working from home since late March and I can overhear her interactions with clients sometimes. Some of the clients sound frail. Others still sound strong, but their answers indicate that they no longer have the physical strength or mental faculties they once had... I don't think I could do my wife's job...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of my problems is I have Osteoporosis. It attacks the bones and makes them honeycomb instead of solid. I've broke my back 5 times since moving here and I lost count of how many broken ribs. So, a fall on rocks for me will always be a broken bone. Fly fishing and Osteoporosis don't mix well.

Now that i've typed that out I think it's best I forget fly fishing and just stick to a spin rod on lake banks. I love Forebay but those rocks are bad for me. It's best I stick to dirt banks.

I agree about our brain not working well as we get older. I think it can be exercised like a muscle by making it work hard. I'm also a gamer and like realistic combat flight sims. I use DCS and fly the F/A-18C. It's so complicated it make my brain bleed. Real F/A-18 pilots fly it and say it's as complicated as flying and fighting in the real plane. Anyway, it seems to keep my brain a bit sharper than not doing it.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Good luck Pete stay safe! Lakes have bigger fish!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
It may bore you, but the fish won’t care if you’re using the fly rod at the lake.

Hope you find some enjoyment out there...

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A fly rod is ok on a lake if the wind is low but how often is that?

A spin rod with a bubble and fly is more relaxing. :)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
It may bore you, but the fish won’t care if you’re using the fly rod at the lake.

Hope you find some enjoyment out there...
The fish are bigger in the lake and if you are using flies you’ll be catching when the rest aren’t. Might be time for a boat. . .

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the fish are bigger in lakes. However, i'm a trout fisherman. My biggest trout have come from the Taylor tailwater. Although, I haven't really fished for lakers but they aren't trout. I use light gear and i'm not sure it's up for a big laker. One way to find out. :)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL......I guess fly fishing isn't out of my system yet. I just bought another bamboo rod. I guess i'll be driving up to Hayden Meadows after all.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The deal fell through on bamboo rod. The seller decided to keep it. Maybe that a sign I should stay with my new spin rod. So, I will.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree. I'd be too tempted to start wading again and that would get me in trouble.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are who we are. I guess i'm a fly fisherman at heart now. I fished spin gear all my life. I guess that was enough and now no matter how I try I can't get to like it anymore. I really tried but I get bored in 15 min and leave. Fly fishing may not be the best choice for me now but I do it or give up fishing. I don't want to do that. I just need to keep myself from falling. I think places that are real easy wading should be all I do now. Like Hayden Meadows, Taylor tailwater, and the flats at the Frying Pan. Lots of spooky fish to keep me from getting bored.

With that in mind and a stimulus payment sitting in my bank account I went on a spending spree. I bought a new hardy Hardy Zephrus 9' 5 wt rod, Hardy Ultralite CADD reel, SA Amplitude Infinity line, Simms G3 waders and Simms wading staff. $1600. I got a bit carried away but i'm glad I have it all now.

Keep your eyes open for my spinning stuff in the classified forum. It's all new as usually is the case with me.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've finally decided to retire from hunting. It's not fun anymore at my age and medical problems.

Fishing suits me better now. I wish I could fly fish as I have in the past but my balance is so bad now that wading is out of the question. I can still fish from banks but they can't be too rocky. Places like Hayden Meadows will work ok. Spin fishing on lakes will always be an option and may be my only option at some point.
Fish for walleye with jerkbaits or for brown trout with jerks too and even kasties.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not brave enough to try a spin rod on the Taylor or Pan. I might get hung on the nearest tree. :)

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, the ad is up.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
With that in mind and a stimulus payment sitting in my bank account I went on a spending spree. I bought a new hardy Hardy Zephrus 9' 5 wt rod, Hardy Ultralite CADD reel, SA Amplitude Infinity line, Simms G3 waders and Simms wading staff. $1600. I got a bit carried away but i'm glad I have it all now.
Enjoy it! (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts