Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new vice. I love tying flies and I can sit for hours just enjoying myself but lately I've been struggling with my crappy vice and now it's pretty much done for. I was just wondering if anyone out there had a decent used one they would like to sell. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
How much do you want to spend?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Call my friend Mark, he has a nice used vise he`d sell. cell 720 317 9427
Just tell him Jeff told you about it.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I need a new vice. I love tying flies and I can sit for hours just enjoying myself but lately I've been struggling with my crappy vice and now it's pretty much done for. I was just wondering if anyone out there had a decent used one they would like to sell. Thanks.
Hooked on flailing for those 6"ers, eh?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Whompuscat I'm in the same boat. Ive used my AA for far too long and it's time to upgrade. I'm thinking about a peak vise, $150.00 +/- new, made in Loveland, and not only is it rotary, it will also hold 24's. http://www.peakfishing.com/ they have a "where to buy" page, but Id hit Amazon or ebay for best deals.
I don't really want to spend that much as we fall into the holiday season, but I may just have to..

·
Registered
305 Posts
Look into Renzetti's as well, I love my Traveler. I have heard good things on Peak's- you will be amazed how much more fun tying is with a decent set up if your old one isn't very good.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I will 3rd the Peak vise. not horribly expensive as far as vises go. Locally made. I have been very happy with mine! But if you can find a good deal on a GOOD vise go for it. But it is worth it to not go bargain shopping for a vise. I paid about 75$ for my 2nd vise. The 150$ for the peak was worth every penny.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tie on the Peak as well. I've tied from 26s to 5/0s on it and it held both, along with everything in between. On top of that, I tie for 3-4 hours a night every night on it, and it has yet to show any real signs of damage. Their pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things, and locally made.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. Honestly max id like to spend $50 or so. I'll explore the different options everyone mentioned

·
Registered
11,847 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
I started with a Regal Vise but gave up tying small flies (20 and smaller) due to the jaws not holding them well enough - flying hooks that small are a ***** to find! Bought a Danvise and still use it for flies down to 26-28 and up to size 2. If you can find a used Danvise for a decent price you won't regret it.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I have never heard of anyone who didn't like their danvice... That said, I have beefy hands and it was just too hard for me to access the back of the hook because it is built horizontally (the buzzkill for most rotary vices for me).

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a wide range of vises, tools, and materials available for the craft of fly tying. Prices vary considerably across the range. Choosing the most appropriate tools depends on the available budget, and the type of flies being created. Although fly fishing flies are available ready made, many fly fishers choose to make their own and consider it a rewarding element of the fly fishing experience. read this topic

·
Registered
592 Posts
The principal purpose of a fly-tying vise is to hold a hook securely. read this topic
^^That is an odd website, are you just trying to plug it or what? ???

To the OP, don't just get a vise because it's a good deal, do some homework, go to a shop and play with the display models. Ebay will have a steal once in a great while. I have a Peak as well, seems to be a trend on here...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts