Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking a business trip that will take me through Kansas on the I-70 corridor... south through McPherson Ks, then back up to Kansas City area. Next I'll be in the St. Louis area, up to Des Moines and Omaha NE. I have a very flexible route and will have afternoons to fish. I know there probably isn't much anyone on here has to offer, but if you know of anything I really shouldn't miss, let me know. I am fishing either Cedar Bluff or Webster lake tomorrow afternoon. Not sure where I'm going after McPherson (I will be done with business around 2pm). Friday afternoon in the St. Louis area I will have several hours and will try to work my way north from there. Weather is supposed to be real bad over the weekend, so I'm probably not going to push too hard, but if someone has an idea, I'll listen. Next week I'll be between Omaha and Des Moines and likely try for Musky.

Anyways, figured I would ask just by chance someone knows a place, a forum or maybe even a guide I should look into.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The outlet at Truman should be starting to be great for hybrids. with boat, the lake may start with the crappie.
. This is all hearsay by me. My buddy from there keeps trying to get me to go their at this time of year.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Lived in Kansas for 2 years as well as St. Louis.

Kansas:
I would recommend Milford Lake outside of Junction City KS. Several accessible spots. Also Melvern Lake or Pomona south of Topeka, or Clinton Lake outside Lawrence. Mainly bass, walleye, crappie and white bass in those. Tuttle Creek outside Manhattan is also a great walleye lake, but it will add a few hours round trip to get to the north end off the highway, time that could be spent at one of the other locations as they seem more in route.

I also used to hit up Shawnee with a buddy after work for pretty much a mixed bag variety of midwest fish.

St. Louis:
My only recommendation would be Mark Twain Lake on your way to Iowa. It is about 2-2.5 hours N/NW. My company does a bass a crappie tourney there every year.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
PM sent

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late reply, THANKS A TON for all the info. My first stop was at Wilson lake in hopes of a random early striper. I only had 3-4 hours. I got one super solid hit on a swimbait but didn't connect. Hard to say what species it was.

I had a meeting in McPherson yesterday and fished a small pond that a local turned me on to. I landed 2, lost one at my feet and got one other hit. The big bass was 18" and thick. I took pics, but unfortunately they didn't turn out. Long story, but needless to say, I'm pissed as I wanted to chronicle my trip.

I will updated this thread after any fishing I do. Today I will pass through Columbia, MO and beg the folks at Bass Pro for a pond or something to hit between Columbia and O'Fallon. Thanks again everyone who helped.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts