Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some powerpro 20 lb braid and im using a 3-4 ft leader of trilene 10 lb big game. I have used a blood knot to attach my leader it seems pretty strong no slippage the knot breaks at the mono when i yank it to failure. I am more comfortable with this knot easier and faster for me to tie. I will be using it at bm this weekend for kiwanis tourney but i am going to pueblo res tomarrow night to cast it a few times and check it out. Anybody got any dos and donts for me to try.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Good luck at the tourney, I will be there too... don't use braid if you troll... that's all I'll give ya before the tourney :wink:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya im not a troller vertical jigging didnt work for us on sat but did ok today. I love the braid not a single tangle all weekend. My mono pole knoted up on me today im a braid guy now. We got 12.62 lbs how did you do

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used to tie Flouro to Braid with the Uni to Uni knot but IMO its a pain in the ass to tie. I have switched over to the Alberto knot and find it much easier and quicker to tie when on the water.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I also use the micro barrel swivels. Keeps line twist down from Vert jigging or big fish running you all over...

What happens when you troll with braid? I did it once when I was short on poles but it was rope like 50 and 80 pound test. Only one days worth of trolling. Both noobs lunked up and thought they snagged bottom. So I know fish will bite it with a leader.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Just learn a good knot designed for braid to mono, it will not cut.
Swivels cause more problems and limit what you can do, like running a long leader and reeling it up through your guides and reel.

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Plus swivels with over reeling can damage rod tips and eyes on rods...

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
I am spacey and forget using swivels and over reel...watching a movie with diane when you called back...will try you later...

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I like using a swivel.

Dont over reel. :thumb:
Who needs a 7 ft long leader?
Lots of reasons but in general its a much better practice to learn and tie a knot in lieu of using a swivel from braid to mono. I doubt you will find any professional fisherman or guides using swivels to join lines together. As Zman stated the knot is easier on your rod tips, one connection over 2, easier to net a fish. Longer leaders give you the ability to just grab the leader and pull a fish in or gaff it. When using downriggers I use 20' or so of leader because braid doesn't stay in the release clips well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya swivels not good for me either i was trying not to real my knot through my guides and even with a three foot leader still was doing it. Right now been fishing top water baits in flooded trees and weeds for wipers tying straight to my braid working awesome

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's my contribution to humanity for today. Red Phillips knot. Works very well for Braid to Mono, or Braid to Flouro. Makes a very compact knot that doesn't hang up in the guides. Very strong when properly tied & tightened. Much easier than an Alberto, imo.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Ya im not a troller vertical jigging didnt work for us on sat but did ok today. I love the braid not a single tangle all weekend. My mono pole knoted up on me today im a braid guy now. We got 12.62 lbs how did you do
we weighed somewhwere around 15.7 lbs... Had a great time and i'm REALLY hoping I get to fish with the same partner next year. We were on a very good bite early and finessed some fish when no one seemed to be catching anything. Can't wait for next year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts