Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Sir, we wish to see Jesus ..." - John 12:21

I don't usually like pictures of Jesus (of course we don't really know what he looked like), but found these this morning and didn't think they were bad.




Matthew 19:14











One day face to face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,844 Posts
Looks like a white guy... to honor John, the images should be that of a middle eastern looking male. This has always bothered me (not the image of Jesus, just the idea that he would be depicted as an anglo)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
It's interesting that most of the favorite paintings depicting Jesus make him appear to be of Northern European ancestry. Your typical Middle Eastern build, dress, and general appearance would be quite different.

Ha. While I was composing that, Oyey beat me to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,192 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Damn he's a sexy beast. No way that guy would be a virgin.
HAHAHA That is funny little messed up but funny. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oyey said:
Looks like a white guy... to honor John, the images should be that of a middle eastern looking male. This has always bothered me (not the image of Jesus, just the idea that he would be depicted as an anglo)
Well, of course we don't know exactly what his features looked like, but when you mention "white", most Jews are usually considered such. I mean often I don't think we could necessarily distinguish one of Jewish ancestry from a random "Anglo" (sometimes, perhaps). But I agree that "race", when you really start looking at it, is such a superficial, 'slippery' issue. What you find is that people can't even agree on what a term like "Caucasian" actually means -- especially when it has come to have a negative connotation to many! But anyway, if Jesus was a Jew who looked differently than most in some way (skin tone, etc.), it makes no difference to me. I just liked some of the inner qualities that those images seemed to convey (tenderness, power, wisdom, truth).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Armchair Angler said:
testing the limits of the off topic subjects are we? ::)
Not intentionally, Armchair (if you're talking about me & not some of the posts that have come in response to it). However, I have been away from the forum for a while, so if there has been a rule recently disallowing a thread like mine just tell me & I'll withdraw it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,554 Posts
I don't see how this would be "testing the limits". Religious threads are allowed per DONALD. Plus it seems as though most of the responses fall along the lines of appropriateness. The thread is titled "images of jeebus" and that seems to be the content that has been posted. Thread hasn't been derailed. There's no flaming, nudity, swearing, etc. Am I missing something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
Hop said:
Well, of course we don't know exactly what his features looked like, but when you mention "white", most Jews are usually considered such. I mean often I don't think we could necessarily distinguish one of Jewish ancestry from a random "Anglo" (sometimes, perhaps). But I agree that "race", when you really start looking at it, is such a superficial, 'slippery' issue. What you find is that people can't even agree on what a term like "Caucasian" actually means -- especially when it has come to have a negative connotation to many! But anyway, if Jesus was a Jew who looked differently than most in some way (skin tone, etc.), it makes no difference to me. I just liked some of the inner qualities that those images seemed to convey (tenderness, power, wisdom, truth).
Wait, now. I thought being a "Jew" referred to being of a certain religion, one that anyone can belong to. Not a race.

No?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,554 Posts
Jew has many uses WE. I.E

1. "His religious affiliation is Jew."
2. "Mcdaniels is being Jewish."
3. "You are trying to Jew me."
4. "Quit being a Jew, Kyle".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
Jew has many uses WE. I.E

1. "His religious affiliation is Jew."
2. "Mcdaniels is being Jewish."
3. "You are trying to Jew me."
4. "Quit being a Jew, Kyle".
lol I think I just pee'd a little
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walking Eagle said:
Wait, now.I thought being a "Jew" referred to being of a certain religion, one that anyone can belong to. Not a race.

No?
It can be used in either way, 'Eagle. Jewish by blood, or by religion. Kind of unique in that way. Good question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
I don't see how this would be "testing the limits". Religious threads are allowed per DONALD. Plus it seems as though most of the responses fall along the lines of appropriateness. The thread is titled "images of jeebus" and that seems to be the content that has been posted. Thread hasn't been derailed. There's no flaming, nudity, swearing, etc. Am I missing something?
Unfortunately NO...all the things that would make this thread SOO much better!!!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top