Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, need some help finding some good shore fishing spots. Iv been in Boulder for the past 2 years, but just really starting to get into fishing here. Fished a lot in Illinois and Wisconsin mainly for bass and other pan fish.

I'm looking for some decent shorefishing around boulder or like 45min out that doesn't require much hiking. Would be happy to find some good spots for pretty much anything; bass, walleye, pike, trout. Looking for a few spots that wouldn't be too hard to get too and take up an entire day. Have had a lot of luck hiking at Gross Res, but looking for something a little easier to do and less time consuming for some quick fun trips. Me and my girlfriend have each got a spin rod and are looking for some nice new places to go. There are a million spots on the fishing Atlas its hard to zero in on the ones that are worthwhile.

Got skunked at Standley lake and Bear Creek Lake these past 2 weeks.

Thanks in advanced, and look forward to bein a part of the site.:thumb:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Might take a look at Harper. Not chock full but they stock it in the spring with some rainbows. And it has a few bass and lots of big carp. Might take a look at the Carter\Flatiron\Pinewood system as well.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Fishing close to home book. Get one.

Then you will open your eyes and understand you are only a few miles from heaven.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet, thanks for all the replies. Will look further into all of these places. Isn't the Fishing Close To Home Book essentially the online fishing atlas?

And is there any good pike fishing out here? without fly gear? Thanks

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
The Fishing Close to Home book is put out by the CPW and contains species lists and regs for most/all fishable waters in the Denver metro and surrounding areas. Its an excellent resource and certainly something you should have, since you're new to fishing this area.

Pike are hated by the CPW and loved by many anglers in the state. Because of this, there is no limit on pike in many waters. This leads to ponds and lakes getting hammered and wiped out. I suggest using the Search function on this site... Do a little research, go fishing, post tasteful and careful reports with pictures, and you'll receive more help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dan- you're only 20 minutes from the StVrain out of Lyons. Sounds like you prefer spin fishing. If you get some #1 Blue Fox Vibrax spinners and use #4 lb line- you ought to be all set. Get a belt pack or vest to carry your gear instead of a tackle box (that let's you wander around) and for a wading staff- get a $3 metal broom handle at Wally World and put a bolt in the tip end- works great. You can "wade wet and have a dry pair of socks and sneakers in the vehicle at day's end.
Cast across stream and just keep a tight line, the force of the current will cause the blade on the spinner to spin and then let it swing like a door downstream, the idea is for the spinner to swing in front of a rock, etc where a trout might be located. If you do it correctly the spinner ought to be at mid-depth and not snag on any rocks.
The other spinning method is an angle worm on a 2 hook gang and a split shot- you can cast that right into rapids/riffles and let it bounce along the bottom and catch bows in fast water.
If you want to try fly fishing start with nymphs since you sort of "lob cast" and really don't need that much skill in casting. It is similar to the wrom gang, a couple of nymphs and split shot bouncing along the bottom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got skunked at barker last year, just no idea where to stop and shorefish there. Same thing at Standley. Walked around the shore trying a bunch of different spots, just had no clue where to stop, soooo big haha

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
You'll skunk alot, man... Doesn't mean the fish aren't in there... Just that you haven't found them, or that you haven't found out what they're eating.

Skunks are sometimes more useful than 10-20 fish days... You don't learn anything if you never skunk. Keep a journal of what lake, which part of the lake, time of day, baits/lures tried, and success/failure/species... You'll become a much better fisherman and dial in some tough lakes if you stick to it.

I have skunked more in the last year than I have in my life and have increased my skills exponentially. I'm still nowhere near the level of some of the guys on here... But I can promise you this... The experience is priceless.

Skunks are okay, man... You learn from your mistakes and get better...

#MoralOfTheStory

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Haha I know Skunks are part of the game. Just picked up the Fishing Close To Home Book. Gonna check out all these suggestions in there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fish golden ponds for about 2 and a half hours tonight with the girlfriend. Strikeedd out.
Got a little more time tomorrow, able to head out around noon. Any suggestions? Seems crappie have been hittin

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Skunks are sometimes more useful than 10-20 fish days... You don't learn anything if you never skunk.
If I have a 10-20 fish day I learn far more about a fishery then if I get skunked! You learn there eating patterns, their daily movements, maybe what prey they're chasing, ect. If you find a skunk you go home stinking of failure! Opry come out west, I think your getting to freindly with your local skunks! We shoot skunks out here when we find them!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
I wouldn't know. Since I moved back home to Denver, I skunk about half the time on warmwater species. The only time I skunked on trout was my maiden fly fishing voyage to Clear Creek.

In other words, in THIS state, trout are like crappie and bass are out east and vice versa.

I still smell bad from my last 3 trips... All skunks. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts