Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out Friday for a couple hours to fish the Poudre in town. Sadly, I have NEVER caught a fish in February before (I don't ice fish), so I figured this would be an easy way to break that curse. Fished small jerkbaits and was able to land a few fish and miss about seven or eight others in classic jerkbait fashion. Even pulled out this guy that went 17.5 inches (I suffer from big hand syndrome). As a usual run and gunner, fishing there Friday reminded me it is best to stay in high percentage areas and slow down your baits this time of year. Simple enough in concept, but I always find myself fishing too fast when the season first starts off.

Pretty lame report, but hopefully it will cause some others to speak of their greater weekend experiences and maybe make you think about how to approach open water the next few weeks. I for one am just grateful that I survived the month of February without going insane....I feel there is a reason it only has 28 days....

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Never seen a brownie like that... Strange dots. Looks like a brookie, but the fins aren't right. That'd be a trophy brook. :)

nice, no matter what it is! Good job!

·
Registered
24,644 Posts
Owen if that looks like a brookie I think you have been mistakenly catching brownies all your life!...lol...

Great report...good work with the jerkbaits...dont hesitate to go up a couple of sizes...browns to stunning sizes can hide and survive in small streams and rivers especially since they turn nocturnal and become fish eaters...

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
just the distinctiveness of the red spots and the gaping mouth...

True, the fins are not right, as I stated, and the red dots are not surrounded by blue...

Just very different from the Clear Creek browns and Fall River browns I'm used to catching.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts