Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been thinking about buying a used or new gas auger since we have been using an old 43 lb earth auger with an ice blade the past couple years.

Do any of you have an opinion as to what ice auger is the best as far as brand, performance, durabilty, parts availabilty,weight, etc?

Would love to hear your opinions and/or recommendations!

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I hava a Strikemaster and have never had a problem with it.. i bought it used 2 years ago.

Also use to own an Eskimo.. which had problems starting.. I tuned it up and it worked great when i sold it.

So to my point... Both Augers i owned had the exact same Tecumseh engine.

The reason i kept the Strikemaster and not the Eskimo was mainly because the Strikemaster had a single Chipper Blade and the Eskimop had dual regular blades... I prefer the Chipper blade by far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought the Z51 Eskimo Shark. Works great and starts first time I pull the rope.

That being said, If I hadn't bought it and know what I know now I would go with the Jiffy Propane model. Not much can go wrong with that motor. And the gas will never gell.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The guy at Bass Pro Shop told me that they are having problems with the gasket on propane augers where you install the propane tank. Not lasting long before they start to leak. I looked at the Strikemaster ones they had but didn't like the way the throttle lever and attached linkage was all plastic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I replaced my ancient, bullet-proof Jiffy 90 with a new Strikemaster 8" with the 2hp Solo engine and have never looked back. Weights 28# compared to the Jiffy's 43#. Yep, lot's more plastic but it carries light and cuts like butter, starts real easy too. I love it. That being said, if I had $500 bucks to spend I'd get an Ice Gator electric with a Lithium battery and never worry about the gas hassle again. They are the bomb. ;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a SM and a Old Jiffy both are fine with me but I am going back to hand augers for ice under a foot, especially if I know right were I'm going or there is just a couple guys fishing.
My SM is a 10", if I bought a new power auger it would be no bigger than an 8".

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nils Master! Im on season 5 with mine, I average about 35 days on the ice each year and it has performed flawless. I have owned many gas augers and this one is far superior. It cuts super fast and is less than 25 pounds.
One of my fish buds has a new 3hp Strikemaster that seams pretty flimsy with the plastic handles, his re-coil is also slow to re-tract.
Nils will cost more but it will be the last one you have to buy.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
I have a SM and a Old Jiffy both are fine with me but I am going back to hand augers for ice under a foot, especially if I know right were I'm going or there is just a couple guys fishing.
My SM is a 10", if I bought a new power auger it would be no bigger than an 8".
US...I agree...my SM is a 10 incher and I would definitely go no bigger than 8 incher.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have had the same thing as lucky7
Bought my strikemaster in 98 and only one spark plug put in plus I added a new muffler 2 years ago because mine got pretty banged up.It still has the original blades that I sharpen myself when needed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am only on my second year with the Eskimo but I like it. The one thing I see here is something I keep asking myself and that is: Why didn't I get a smaller Auger. My 10" is over kill and the wife stepped in one of my open holes once. She wasn't very happy with me drilling so many extra holes. But I drill on average about 15 holes a day out. Once last year there were a few of us and I must have drilled 35-40 holes that day. That was at the end of January on the Blue Mesa near the Lake City bridge and the ice was over 30" thick.

If they are having troubles with the gasket on the Propane's I am sure they will get that fixed soon. Just like the Troubles with the Strikemasters last year and their recoil problems.

I used to work outside years ago and drove Propane Forklifts. Never had a problem with leaks in the dead of winter so I think it will be a short lived problem.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
WALLEYE GUTS said:
I have had the same thing as lucky7
Bought my strikemaster in 98 and only one spark plug put in plus I added a new muffler 2 years ago because mine got pretty banged up.It still has the original blades that I sharpen myself when needed.
took about 9 years before I bought new blades and the old ones drilled numerous holes.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If it were me and i had to do it again id buy a 2 to 2.5hp 4 stroke strikmaster with 10'' auger. Now ive got a newer jiffy 3hp 10'' and its a beast it weighs 38lbs but it cuts fast. Occasionally it has problems starting but that generally happens when someone tries to start it that doesnt know the tricks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have an eskimo mako with a 10" blade. This year the gas can started to leek fuel big time, and to top it of the rope broke. Had to order new parts $55 with shipping. I had no problems with my auger until then. Took it out this past weekend and it started first time as per usual. My buddy has a jiffy auger and it seems to bog down when drilling, again 10" blade, but no matter what anybody says its better than drilling by hand!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an eskimo shark and havent had any problems with it. I have had it about three yrs mow. I do agree with the guys about only needing an 8" blade, any bigger is just over kill.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts