Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just wanted to post my point of view about buying a fish finder for ice fishing. I went to Bass Pro last week to spend my Christmas giftcards. I went to look at all of the fishfinders available. Being as frugal as I am. I couldn't justify paying a $250 to $400 for a fishfinder. So I got the Eagle Cuda for $99. But this one had a case with it already. It runs on 8 AA Batteries. Althought the case is not made of really durrable plastic, with some care it could last a long time. Also it can go on my boat if I want it to. So once I bought it, I took it fishing with me thinking that if it didn't work very well I could take it back. Boy I was surprised at how much more fish I caught knowing where they were than just dunking my jig and guessing there depth. I fished two days and caught over 75 fish. It was cool because not only could I see the fish, I also knew when that alarm went off they were close to my jig. So my point of view is this. It would be nice to have an expensive fishfinder. Its not nessesarly (spelling) going to help you catch more fish. Plus buying a less expensive fishfinder can give you the option of buying more lures,gas,bait and anything else that you need......Just a point of view. I'll post in the ice fishing section about the fishing we had a dowdy...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
could you see your jig on your fish finder?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could not only the jigs on both poles but also the peanut I droped in the hold..was quite cool to follow it to the bottom!

·
Registered
688 Posts
its nice to some posts on cheaper eqipment. I am lookin at finders now and cant decide what to get . I cant aford a vex this year. but I also want somthing that I can use on my kick boat this summer as well. does any one use a sidefinder for ice fishin

·
0 Posts
razorsedge31 said:
I could not only the jigs on both poles but also the peanut I droped in the hold..was quite cool to follow it to the bottom!
I saw the same one at Sportsmans Warehouse,for the same price,it is nice to know it works great,one more question for you; what was the flavour of the peanut,salted or unsalted,roasted of course,with or without the shell,most of all what brand??

·
Registered
109 Posts
fyraxe said:
does any one use a sidefinder for ice fishin
I used my Side finder for the first time ice fishing last weekend. While it does show depth fine, the fishfinder part of it leaves something to be desired.From what I have seen and heard, I would spend your money on something else.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i had the same problem with a sidefinder, it made a lot of beeps but i never saw fish. getting rid of it, used it twice, waste of money

·
Registered
935 Posts
I played with a friend's sidefinder (Bottomline Fishin Buddy model) last year. It was switchable between downward and side finding. It appeared to be able to pick up fish off to the sides, but the features wasn't very useful overall for ice fishing. Nice to know the fish is out there, but by the time you move out to drill holes in that direction, they're gone. My bud uses his in the straight down mode most of the time, and I didn't really like it for that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey cutt how is your new finder workin ? How does it compare to vex. hopefull I'm gonna get one or the tomarrow.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I'm gonna go a little bit against the grain here.  I think there are two things in fishing you should buy the best you can afford-a trolling motor and a fishfinder.  You can get a heck of alot of pixels for a little more money with todays fishfinders.  Which equals better definition and better separation, especially with bottom hugging fish.  With a trolling motor, you can never have too much power.

I have decent fishfinders on my boat a decent trolling motor.  If I had it to do all over again, I would spend the extra money and get better units.  Mortgage the house if you have to!!! ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
More pixels is easier to look at, but does it necessarily give you greater functionality?  Just being easier to look at may make it worth a few extra dollars in many cases, for sure - and I know I would certainly like a more powerful trolling motor - but the one I got was free, and I will likely have to 'buy' a more powerful one (ugh!).  I push a 14' canoe with mine, and don't need a lot of power. I think 50 lbs. of thrust might be too much for me, though - make it easy to flip when I make turns.

·
Registered
935 Posts
fyraxe said:
Hey cutt how is your new finder workin ? How does it compare to vex. hopefull I'm gonna get one or the tomarrow.
My new finder is working great.  I can see my jig, my swivel, the fish.  I can tell when fish are right under the middle of the beam, because the bar gets fat.  In vertical flasher mode, the fish make longer bars, and the chart records what they are doing. 

I've been able to see fish come in near the bottom, and jig aggressively above them to bring them up to the jig, and then jig lightly and get the strike.  I've also been able to use it to see what depth the fish were at, and move my jig to their depth and draw the strike.  It was pretty easy to do, once I figured out the sensitivity needed to be turned down.  Initially, I had it too high, and I could see my jig, swivel, and the coils in my line when I let it drop and got slack in it!  Can't complain about the sensitivity, and the returns were definitely instant.  The only thing different about using my finder, than when I sat in on my friend's vex, was that mine was B&W, and mine also had the vertical mode that recorded for a brief period how fish were behaving over time when they came into my sonar beam - so after awhile.  That was nice, because it gave me a mental picture of how the fish moved up and down in the water column when they came through where I was fishing, and helped me figure out where to put the jig.  It's pretty cool on the vertical flasher to see the track of the fish as the rose and dropped in the water column, and really cool to see how the bar gets really fat when they are at your jigs depth and approach the jig.  It was like I could predict when the fish was about to grab the jig.  I doubt I will fish in water more than 10' deep without it in the future.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Inexpensive and portable.... You might want to look at a Hawkeye...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=232615

$75 at sportsman warehouse, $88 at Walmart.com.... About $50 off of eBay.

Runs on 4 AAA batteries for 30 hours. Great for ice and tube fishing just because it is cheap and extremely portable.

I use mine ice fishing and it works just fine. I got an older model when they first came out at Radio Shack for $50. The fish alarm goes off.... And you better get over to that hole!!!

I know it is not nearly as nice of a unit as what you bought, the only reason I mention it is because it is nothing to bring along with on your more mobile adventures across the ice, or in your tube.

I do agree though, if you are going to get something for a boat, pay more and get some real quality.

Tim

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hawkeye makes a couple of really inexpensive and portable units. Not sure if you can see your jig, and the displays aren't great, but they can help you find fish and depth up to about 200 ft, I think.

E

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips and ideas! I've always thought fishfinders were out of my price range.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I thought the same thing, but if you look for them, and research the different units, you can find a good value, and that's the imprtant part.

·
Registered
688 Posts
gander has really good close out deals right now eagle cuda 128 i think it was only 49.00 and the 168 was 69.00 plus the 10% discount letter. I picked up a eagle fish easy 2 for 97.00 the best finder for the money that I found was the new hummin bird 141 c 229.00 color split screen flasher awsome unit for the money.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I liked the 168 I bought for 99 bucks. The display is great and it comes with the box already. The unit actuall folds into the box to protect the screen. I know you can get it for 68 but if you pay a little extra you can get it in the box. I like this because if I use it in a small boat its all contained in one box. You could buy all the parts seperatly but it'll cost you a bit over 100 bucks to do it. all in all its a good thing to have. And according to my uncle it calls th fish to my lure..lol..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts