Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we seen to go to Chatfield quite a bit, I would be interested in finding out where the "Hot Spots" for fishing generally are (on a boat) and the kind of bait that should be used. I've read that there are some "mighty nice size fish" in that lake (would like to try and get one).
Would also like to find out where the Handicap Pier is there.
Any help with info about Chatfield and the area around it would be greatly appreciated.
Cody (cowboy)

E

·
0 Posts
A sunken roadbed runs west/southwest from the handicap pier. You'll see fishing boats sitting on it all the time. It's pretty much a community hole. There is also a sunken bridge which is part of that roadbed. The bridge is about straight south of the outlet tower on that roadbed.

The handicap pier is just west of the marina. It's not really a pier, more like a bridge over the shore.

There is also a nice peninsula that runs out from the east side of the marina channel.

This time of year I wouldn't hesitate fishing in pretty shallow water for the walleyes. Jigs, rigs and sprawlers setups work pretty good for targeting them.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Do you have a gps? If so let me know I can give you the location of the bridge and a couple of other places I have done well at.

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
This is the one for the bridge/Road. 39 32.821N, 105 04.284W. Watch your sonar when you hit it you will go from around 30 or so feet to 16 in a instant. If you are over the road bed and not the bridge it may show as a sharp slope. I usually slow down to a crawl when i get close so I can work the edges and not overshoot. but sometimes the hot spot is over the road.

If you anchor there be careful. After you drop and the line is tight occasionally grap your anchor line and see if you can feel a rub or vibration. If you do you are fraying your anchor line on the bridge and will lose an anchor soon. I have seen people use chain in that area to save their anchors.

I will post some other locations tomorrow am. I am at work righ now and do not have access to my list.

Dan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your information on Chatfield Lake.
I went to Gart Sports this evening after work and bought a map of Chatfield Reservor. It is by Fish -n-Map Company. I just looked at it and it sure gives a lot of info on the lake, fishing areas, depths, etc.
I will definitely study this piece of material!!!!!!!!
Cody (cowboy)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts