Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at heading to one or both of these lakes. I have never been to one and can only fish from shore. What's a good way to fish these lakes from shore? Does anyone know the best way to Tarryal from Colorado Springs.

Thanks

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Looking on a map it looks like any car can make it to tarryal. Just want to make sure or do i need to take the jeep with a fuel tanker following me.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Tarryall access is a piece of cake. Lots of people know that. So it will be packed. Instead of fishing for little fish at T-all,try 11-mile,its closer and the fish are MUCH bigger.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just might have to give that some thought. I have read about 11 mile and been there once with real luck other than a 6 inch pike.  I would love to hook into some good size pike.  What kind of line would work best.  I currently have one rod with 10lb mono and another with 15 lb mon that I mostly use for cat.  I have never tried to target pike and have read alot about them here as to what lures to use.  Just dont know if I have the line to try it. Is there any special equipment needed to remove hooks from pike. Never caught one bigger than the 6 inch one. I read something on here at one point about a jaw spreader?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
11-mile,its closer and the fish are MUCH bigger.
I think when 'the Butcher' :) said big fish he was talking about the big trout he pulls out of there. Not the Pike.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be nice to have a big trout or two since I'm the only one in the family that eats fish. I have a few in the freezer and kind of hoping to have something else for once. I have been here for about 10 months and have only caught trout and more trout and 4 bluegill and one small pike. I'm sure the family would love to catch anything that bites but I'm looking for a little more of a fight.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
It's kinda tough to catch pike off the shore at 11-mile. I fish mostly from my boat there and use 6 lb mono. Have caught many nice pike on 6 lb--

"The Butcher" I kinda like that-

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Slayerfish. The wife does have off on monday so I guess the decision will be made sunday after reading all the reports.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I agree -- I like 6# or 8# test for pike and steel leaders are for sissies. Bring waders if you have a pair and hit the shallows if you are going to be beaching it...

11Mile will be busy also.  I may hit it in the morning.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts