Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to the Knoxville area for a couple weeks of work. Is anyone familar with the area and care to share some recommendations on rivers/creeks that I might want to head to in the area for some early April fly fishing?
My minimal research tells me either the Clinch or the Holston might be fun, as well as some smaller streams up in the Smokies.
Thanks
Skip

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've never been to Tennessee, but I have a friend who has been about 20 minutes from Knoxville for about 8 months. I'll get ahold of him and what I can find.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Fish any of the small streams in the Cades Cove area. Abrams Creek, running out of Cove fishes as well as any eastern stream. The "Horseshoe" area of it is great for solitude. It runs along the Abrams Falls trail. If you want good mountain flyfishing, that's where I'd go, short of sending you up one of the small branches. I always fished some version of Stimi or Caddis, sometimes a hare's ear. You really don't need alot of diversity up there to catch fish, but you do need stealth. Deep Creek is another good one, but it is up in the Smokies, and I wouldn't suggest it for a day trip.
That said, I love the Clinch. If you can schedule a float while they're running water through the dam, do it. Big fish in there. You can fish it from shore when they're generating, or wade when they're not. Scuds are good flies when the water is down, streamers when it's up. Big browns and bows, and a good amount of them. When the water's down, the pools immediately below the dam always have fish, as do those around the weir dam. Very easy access in both those places. When the water is running, it is very very hard to fish from shore with a flyrod.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The other place/method i would suggest if you don't want to hike much, is take a left at the Y in Townsend, TN and fish the Little River at/around the pull-outs. Big nymphs (black stonefly with legs was always a winner) flipped into the head of the plunge pools accounts for some beautiful fish. If you have time, rent a kayak and take it to upper Chilhowee, Calderwood or Cheoah Lakes. Beautiful and tons of trout that are easy pickings along the shoreline. Not shore friendly though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts