Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit a local pond last night and the top water action was on fire. I was throwing mice on my 6wt and was killing the bass & hybrid sunfish. Switched to a deer hair frog once the mice flies I had got too soaked. Way less action on the frogs. Need to stock up on more mice!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Location?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried a mouse for a first time a couple of weeks ago. Difficult to cast. Any tips? I am new to fly fishing.
I've only been fly fishing for a few years. I normally use my 8wt, which has Rio Power Fly line on it, made for casting large heavy or air resistant flies. So, line can make a difference. I was casting my 6wt last night with basic WF Rio trout line. I was in my kayak, so I was water hauling a lot. Once you strip in and are ready to cast again, raise the rod tip steadily to pick up the fly line off the surface. When you get to the leader, snap the fly off the surface to load the rod up. Be careful not to snap it up too early or you'll make a big commotion by ripping the fly through the surface. Sometimes this water haul can give enough energy to shoot the line a good distance on your first forward cast. I also tend make more false casts than most experienced fly casters since I haven't mastered the double haul. You should be able to easily haul on your back cast though. You may need to pause a little longer with air resistant flies to let the line unfurl on your forward and back casts to load the rod up and get more line out, being careful not to let your line drop & lose energy. Also, time the start of forward & back casts to avoid getting bounce in the line/rod. That will rob you of energy & distance also.

Again, this isn't expert advice, just the way I've found to power them out there. They can definitely be tricky to cast.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I tried a mouse for a first time a couple of weeks ago. Difficult to cast. Any tips? I am new to fly fishing.
I know what you mean. Having a heavier outfit helps, obviously. But beyond that, I think practice helps. As the weight of your fly increases, so should the delay between the backward and forward motions. You need to wait longer for that bigger, heavier fly to do it's thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts