Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I went on a vacation to Cocoa Beach, FL from Februaury 22nd - March 1st. While we were down there I decided to fish for inshore species for the first time. It was a blast and I could get used to that. This video is from two different outings on the Indian River where we caught Jack Crevalle, Speckled Trout, Ladyfish, small Redfish, and even a few Pufferfish.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. Got any meat pics of that pompano?
I've been told my multiple people (who know the inshore species way better than myself) that the fish I called a "Pompano" in the video is actually a Jack Crevalle. We actually didn't keep any of the fish we caught while down there.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I caught a Pompano down in Cabo, didn't know what it was, a Mexican dude comes running down the beach saying "POMPANO" then he said "amigo your lucky" then he said "I eat" and pointed to himself. I said hell no this is my fish. I had been catching sierra's every morning and the dudes at my hotel made saveche. they grilled up the pompano for me. It was so good.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Pufferfish is a highly regarded delicacy but you have to know how to prepare it correctly or it can kill you. Simpsons had an episode on it. Doctor hands Homer a pamphlet titled: "So, you are going to die" and walks out of the room. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pufferfish is a highly regarded delicacy but you have to know how to prepare it correctly or it can kill you. Simpsons had an episode on it. Doctor hands Homer a pamphlet titled: "So, you are going to die" and walks out of the room. :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:
Haha I actually remember that episode!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great video & nice family time! I especially enjoyed seeing those pufferfish.
Thanks! Yea they came as a surprise to me. I think most anglers down there don't like catching them but for me (my first time inshore fishing) and some little kids from MN - it was pretty interesting pulling those out of the water. Next time I'm in FL I'm hoping to take a trip to catch some Peacock bass like the one in your picture!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Yep not a Pompano, Jack for sure. If you ever go again and catch one pinch the little black dots on each gill plate it paralyzes the fish cool trick. You will know when the Pompano are running by the invasion of hill billy white trash fishing the jetties etc. Last time I was there during Pompano season I swear I was the only person not wearing a half shirt with a Camaro on it sporting homemade tats. :smile:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Nice work, Mitch -- great video as always! Looks like a fun trip down there.

I miss having salt/brackish close by. One of my favorite places to fish was the Bass River inlet on Cape Cod. You never know what you'll pull in -- scup, flounder, or even stripers or blues. Great fishing for kids. Gotta love the salt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts