Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought an 88 pathfinder that i want to lift 3". 4 wheel parts only sells the calmini lift and they want to charge 1100 plus 900 for installation and alignment. seems like a lot. I found a lift on 4x4parts.com for 700 and comes with installation instructions so im thinkin of doing it myself. i rarely work on cars and only do the minor stuff (brakes, oil changes, the occasional radiator or serperntine belt), so this will be by far the biggest project ive tried. my concern is this: my step dad did his on his chevy pickup and afterwards the body wasnt centered. if you drove behind him it would be going straight but would look like he was taking a left hand turn if that makes sense. how do i avoid that? are there any other common mistakes i should be aware of? is it really going to be that difficult? do i need any special tools other than some wrenches and sockets? thanks.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I wouldn't try it--I'd take it to a professional shop. Especially with open water season right around the corner. Where did you get your FJ set up? The pics of it looked pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sswan said:
I wouldn't try it--I'd take it to a professional shop. Especially with open water season right around the corner. Where did you get your FJ set up? The pics of it looked pretty nice.
the lift on it was done before i bought it. the bumper was from expedition one. i liked it because i havent seen anyone one else with one yet. everyone and their mom has a stupid ARB bumper. i wanted mine to look different. it got looks from everyone driving own the road. install on it was super easy. after shipping and with the fog lights added it ws like 1600. do you have an FJ or are you looking for one?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Don't have one. Would like to get a vehicle with high clearance like your FJ if I draw a bighorn ram tag. Nobody on the planet has more preference points than me--3 points and 10 weighted points. Still a long shot-- About 30 people applying for the area max'd out on points like me and only 5 tags available.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sswan said:
Don't have one. Would like to get a vehicle with high clearance like your FJ if I draw a bighorn ram tag. Nobody on the planet has more preference points than me--3 points and 10 weighted points. Still a long shot-- About 30 people applying for the area max'd out on points like me and only 5 tags available.
well if 18-30K is your price range, the i would most certainly go with an FJ. only reason i sold it was the payment killed me. my only complaint was that it was too wide for some trails and got some scratches that i had to get buffed out. only a wrangler can beat it in off road capability and even then not by much. i told my wife when we win the powerball the first thing we're buying is another FJ. and i would make sure to get the trail teams edition one :)

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
You can do the lift, but take it for an alignment after you are done so they adjust your control arms to the proper length.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Koldkut said:
You can do the lift, but take it for an alignment after you are done so they adjust your control arms to the proper length.
X2 - did my F250 years back and it looked like the rear wheels tracked 2 inches to the left of the front wheels. Alignment cured it.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Also, find a friend who does some auto work, I'd hate for you to drop your tuck off jackstands since you don't normally work on your own vehicles.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theo9805 said:
from your other posts it sounds like a clean vehicle, but if it's rusted underneath i'd let a shop deal with that crap
its been garaged so theres minimal rust but thats a good point to consider

1 - 9 of 9 Posts