Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Neat stuff - opah join a list of other fish that are endothermic, including the big tunas (like albacore, yellowfin, bigeye, and bluefin) and the mackerel sharks (mako, salmon shark, porbeagle, and great whites).

Fish are just so cool! (says the fish nerd)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neat stuff - opah join a list of other fish that are endothermic, including the big tunas (like albacore, yellowfin, bigeye, and bluefin) and the mackerel sharks (mako, salmon shark, porbeagle, and great whites).

Fish are just so cool! (says the fish nerd)
But the opah is unique in that it constantly regulates body temperature, regardless of the water temps, right? Kinda like humans? And then the other fish you mentioned use endothermy just in certain situations ,like chasing prey?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
In ich this semester, I also learned that swordfish sort of "heat" their brains (for lack of a better word) when they are chasing prey in cold, deep water to maintain efficiency. So umuch interesting info out there its overwhelming at times.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
But the opah is unique in that it constantly regulates body temperature, regardless of the water temps, right? Kinda like humans? And then the other fish you mentioned use endothermy just in certain situations ,like chasing prey?
Actually, the fish I mentioned also regulate their body temperature, not just when they're hunting. The "stars" of this are likely the salmon sharks (they live in cold water, yet maintain near-mammalian body temps) and the bluefin tuna (the bigger ones also have body size on their side - once they warm up, they stay warm longer).

We keep learning about more and more fish that have some limited ability to increase internal temperatures, like swordfish, and opah, and even manta rays!

Like I said before - for a fish nerd, this is way cool!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, the fish I mentioned also regulate their body temperature, not just when they're hunting. The "stars" of this are likely the salmon sharks (they live in cold water, yet maintain near-mammalian body temps) and the bluefin tuna (the bigger ones also have body size on their side - once they warm up, they stay warm longer).

We keep learning about more and more fish that have some limited ability to increase internal temperatures, like swordfish, and opah, and even manta rays!

Like I said before - for a fish nerd, this is way cool!
Haha I'm right there with ya!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
At first, just by looking at the picture I was thinking they weren't very big, then I saw the next picture! Dang! Imagine the damage pike could do if they were warm blooded lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts