Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have been reading the forum for a few months and decided to stop freeloading and participate. I am originally from Georgia (hence the handle) but have moved around quite a bit with my work. It seems I have settled in Colorado for the time being, so I bought a boat.

I grew up bass fishing, but I have chosen to chase the walleyes around here. I have been fishing at Chattfield for the past 2 weeks. Maybe 50 to 60 fish in the boat - 1 keeper who was all of 18 & 1/4". Been bottom bouncing crawler and leech rigs, but I have noticed that I can catch them just as well with a jig head and a Gulp worm. Best productivity has been just off the road bed in 20' to 26'.

One thing I have learned about Chatfield - the weekend is not the time to fish. Being from a coastal area, I have seen my share of large boats. It cracks me up to see those 30' boats running around in circles on the lake.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome Bubba,

I grew up in Maryland before transplanting here also. I smile everytime I see a large boat out here. Other than Dillon and Blue messa how do they get them on plan before they make another left turn.

Goodluck chasing the walleyes.
JT

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hello. I have lived here all my life and nothin makes me laugh harded than the idiots on their huge boats runnin around out there. least if the fishin gets slow you got something to do

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Welcome Bubba!...nothing beats the aerial view from the picnic overlook by the dam on a Saturday afternoon...near miss after near miss...hoping one of the aircraft carriers takes out a few of the lake lice (jet skiers)...

·
Banned
487 Posts
On most Colorado Lakes hand propelled or an electric trolling motor will suffice. You only need big boats on big lakes like Blue Mesa, Taylor, Dillon, Ruedi, Pueblo, Horsetooth, John Martin, and a few others. And I think in small lakes, you catch more fish in smaller, quieter craft. All I use use is a hand propelled pontoon.
One thing I hate is that pleasure boaters are rude and often loaded. They love to deliberately harrass fishermen by creating large wakes and doing circles around you. Usually they get screamed from me.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes, the size of some boats we have seen here really seemed amazing. I have seen boats at Cherry Creek and Chatfield that looked like a smaller version of the "Love Boat"! I mean, like, fully contained with sleeping quarters, kitchen, etc., along with fairly good size engines. When we lived in Southern Calif. for a while, we seen a number of them "big" boats........but they were in Marina's along the Pacific Ocean. We would have never thought that we would see those size of boats here.

As far as fishing on the weekend goes:
We think if people get to a lake early enough in the morning on Sat/Sun, there shouldn't be to much trouble with boaters, jet skiers or wave runners.
If we want to go fishing, we get the boat to the lake (Chatfield or whichever) at 7 or 8 AM. If we are just going to go boating, we will get there later.
We (fisherman, boaters, skiers) should be "sharing" the waters of Colorado. Unfortunately, a lot of boaters and skiers have very little (if any sometimes) respect for people fishing. My wife and I are both boaters and fishing people. We know how, and do, respect people fishing when we are just out skooting around a lake having fun in our boat.
Cowboy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts