Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Introduction and Questions

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  CaptainSandbar 
#1 ·
Hello Fellow Fishermen,

Recently moved to Colorado from North Carolina. Have over 40 years of experience of inshore and offshore salt water fishing. I have no freshwater fishing experience.

I have come here with my 17' bateau and my 10 lb, 20 lb fishing gear, and 2 downriggers.

I am trying to learn about Kokanee and trout fishing from a boat and plan to target 11 Mile and Blue Mesa, as well as other areas that I learn about. Learning about flashers, dodgers, and hoochie rigs as I would like to troll (love running the boat).

1) What lb test should I load the 10 lb rods with? I feel like 8 lb from what I have learned on this forum.

2) Does anyone use planers out here? I am used to using planers on the 20 lb rods to get to a 5'-10' depth when fishing for Spanish mackerel (similar size as Kokanee) and the Spanish will trip the planer; however, I think their mouths are much tougher than the Kokanee.

3) Are planer boards popular to get a wider setup?

4) Trolling speed is 2 mph or less?

5) Best tackle shopping near Lakewood or just best in the general Denver area.

...more questions to come!

Thank you for your reply and assistance!

Respectfully,

Captain Sandbar
aka Chip Jackson

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Multiple types of ways to troll as well as multitudes of opinions. I've researched a few on YouTube and played around for what works best for me. Personally, I've found the cheapest most effective way for me is to use bottom bouncers to get my lure or harnesses down to the depth I need and attach bobber stops on my line every 50 ft to get the amount of line out that works best for what I'm using.

I've tried Dipsy Divers and similar items, but haven't been impressed with the tangled mess they often leave. Planer boards are a super common and effective method for keeping multipe lines seperated, but for me using only two rods out of my yak the bottom bouncers have been the best...

Trolling speeds are something you have to play with constantly-IMO One day fast is the ticket another they may want a slower presentation.

As for tackle shops you'll have to ask the guys that like in that area. I use Bass Pro, Sportman's an a multitude of website places for my tackle needs.

BTW- Welcome Aboard

#6 ·
Hey man, welcome... I like how you come in with a good amount of info on what you like.

For the two waters you mentioned, trolling can be very productive. First, get the Mapco fishing maps of both lakes. These will prove invaluable as a troller. For Trout, I would key on points. You want to think of trolling as target fishing... make sure you get the lures on the target...and dragging the points. Use lures that mimmick baby kokes and baby trout and make sure the depth the lure runs is that of the target point. This will get you started. Flat points are better than steep points.

I like to troll at 1.7-2.0 mph and when it gets real windy, up to 2.5 and that can be the best action.

Good luck.. post up some stuff and have fun.

#10 ·
Thanks for clarifying that, Z... I think the map on your finder is great, but studying the full paper map is invaluable and those maps have suggestions on where/how to troll those lakes, and frankly, the suggestions are spot on. Worth the investment I think. I refer to mine constantly and I have fished these lakes all my life.

#16 ·
That is a LARGE mouf!!! ROFL

And to make it even better, you see that little sunken bush in the back ground? I casted over that so that beast hit on the other side and skillfully drug through a bush for a perfect 10 of a landing :bow:

#18 ·
I just bought the GPS/fishfinder at a sale on the 4th, haven’t installed it yet so I’m not sure how detailed the maps are. But in looking at the website, I see data that I am certain is not on the GPS layers, so the maps will be a good investment. Thanks for the link!!

I grew up with the sound/Intracoastal waterway as my front yard. Spent my youth fishing, crabbing, clamming, boating , swimming, skiing, etc. Whined because we didn’t have cable tv or an Atari. Asked for a swimming pool and my dad pointed to the sound and said that my pool went all the way to England, stop your bitchin’! My mother said that she cried when we moved into the house (I was 2) because the only light you could see at night was the channel marker in the waterway (not like that now!!). Never understood what I had as a child… Rented two homes on the sound for almost 10 years. Purchased a home about 100 yards from the neighborhood boat ramp. Have been fortunate enough to be on the water all of my life.

Moved to CO for work and I find it to be a great place, minus the lack of salt. Looking forward to bending a rod out here!

I have a couple of coworkers that rave about how wonderful Tenkara fishing is… I’m not knocking it, I just don’t think I would enjoy it and I need to be in the boat. I saw some flies in a shop somewhere… I never knew they made hooks so small! Just started wearing glasses this year and if it is small enough that I need a magnifying glass too, I don’t want it!

#20 ·
I have a couple of coworkers that rave about how wonderful Tenkara fishing is… I’m not knocking it, I just don’t think I would enjoy it and I need to be in the boat. I saw some flies in a shop somewhere… I never knew they made hooks so small! Just started wearing glasses this year and if it is small enough that I need a magnifying glass too, I don’t want it!
It's definitely not for everybody, I'm with you on the magnifying glass statement

#22 ·
Sorry, I have had family in town and have not been online...

I grew up on Myrtle Grove Sound, halfway between Wrightsville and Carolina Beach, in Southeastern NC (Cape Fear!!!). Have done some fishing in Oregon Inlet but it is a hike from Wilmington. Did mostly inshore (reds, trout, flounder, drum) and King Mackerel fishing from the beach to +/-35 miles out. The Gulf Stream is also a hike from home at 40-55 miles depending on the flow. It certainly get much closer to the coast farther north (around Oregon Inlet). I have almost had to hide my cousin's page on Facebook because it is tough to see all of the fish that he constantly posts pictures about from Oregon Inlet... I have had the privelage of a couple of Bluefin tuna trips out of Morehead and when it is hot, it is hot! ... can't watch Tuna Wars right now, makes me homesick, especially the NC episodes!

#24 ·
So I understand that I have to have a second rod stamp to fish 2 rods. Does that mean that if 2 people have the stamp, you can run 4 rods?

I was planning on a minimum of 4, maybe 6. It is easy to stack 4 on the 2 downriggers and run 2 planer rods inside of that... so I will have to have 3 people in the boat?!?

Jez guys, we run 8 easy with 4 on the outriggers and 4 in the cockpit...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.