Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Tony,

Heard great things about them...cut like a hot knife thru butter...Lithium battery has issues in bitter cold weather...but people just put the battery in a little cooler with a hand warmer in minus 20 weather and it takes care of it...face it you arent gonna be out there in zero weather anyway...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
i wouldnt tinker with em. cold related. i bought a jiffy propane didnt work in extreme cold. had to take it back. batteries dont like cold either, plugging it in then unplugging it... with all this call arse weather, "ice" fishing. doesnt seem like a good mix. i went with strikemaster solo and cut holes like no tomorrow. used a single gallon last year. 11mile's cold imo would shut a ion down.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
My ice gator has seen the minus 20s of various laker impoundments and has been unfazed...I think it is only the lithium batteries that are fazed by it...some of us just hate f'ing with gas while fishing not to mention the peace and quiet...

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
I've been in sub zero temps with my Lithium Ice gator and have never had a problem with it, battery lasted all day after a chit load of drilled holes! Just jinxed myself didn't I? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Lithium Batteries (usually) don't have a problem with the cold...
Sealed lead do, however.
I have a 5 year old "ICE GATOR" and the 'sealed lead" batteries are finally tiring out
Just ordered a set of "lithium ion" for My gator.
Gonna save Me 10 lbs of weight, too! :smile:

Here's a link to the ION... http://youtu.be/6Ycr5Ym4Upw

The previous post above (BIGMAN) should be noted that His ICE GATOR was equipped with "MORA LAZOR" blades vs MORA REGULAR (blue) model blades...

·
Registered
71 Posts
We picked one up last year. Drills holes really well, light weight and don't have to mess with gas n' stuff.

Towards the end of last year at the Mile we would only get a few holes out of the battery due to the depth of the ice. We picked up another battery this year (which are not cheap) so hopefully we won't have that problem.

Blades are ****. I like the idea of a small cooler with hand warmers for the batteries, probably will do that.

Its tough to say if I'd buy one again. I like it, but the battery life is not that good when drilling 3+ ft of ice and we found ourselves needing a gas auger.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
good info swampass!

I know Epic was drilling multiple holes in 2-3' ice last year without a problem, but i have heard this from others as well... I will go to battery auger some day, but these are super new, I want them to work out the kinks! In 2 years, I bet they are $$$$$

·
Registered
988 Posts
Depends on how often you get out and what temps you fish in. Once you know about Ion Battery characteristics you might change your mind. Battery life degrades in cold temps and replacement bats are probably really pricey. Go for the win, get a 4 stroke, or you can have my older 2 stroke. Have fun with the yearly maintenance haha

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have one. Love it. Never go back to gas. No problems with battery charge or cold temps so far. Haven't drilled through thick ice yet or a ton of holes. Only gripe is the blade cover. Way too tight fitting and dangerous as hell. Sent them an email on it. No response. Used in below zero temps with no issues. Cuts great. I really like not having to mess with gas and you just pick it up and drill. Lighter weight. I like the shorter auger for most drilling then it comes with an extension which make it longer than most other augers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought one from a company called Sportsmen Guide. The list price was $499 and they are backordered until the first week of Jan. If you pay the $29 you get some nice discounts. They also give you back gift cards from previous purchases. After the discounts and credits, my auger was $440 and that included shipping.

After researching this auger a lot, I did find some posts and reviews that said to keep the battery warm. I fish in a big flip hut so that won't be an issue. What I am looking forward to is being able to transport and use it without the gas leaking. Also using it in the hut. It says the auger can drill 40 holes through 24 inches of ice on a single charge.
That is plenty for me. I also bought a new Marcum 8" camera (825). It worked great in the open water this fall. Should be a blast in the hut, plus I am going to get an external recording device for it. I saved $50 when I bought it via SG vs Cabelas.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Used one yesterday at Chatty...light, small, quiet, and quick--kinda like a ninja. Hmmmmm....

It wasn't really cold and the ice was 5-6 inches but I really liked it. Something to think about next year--just splurged on a Marcum LX6!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I really like it but after reading reviews, I'm very skeptical. Why would they make an ice auger that fails in extreme cold.

"An auger has to work in the cold. Period. My first exposure to the Ion auger was on Upper Red fishing with Will Roseberg back in December. Danny from Outdoor Authority drove out from Rogers to where we were fishing in 9' of water... maybe a mile. Temps were 10 degrees. The auger was warm when it left shore. By the time it got to us after being strapped to the wheeler it was too cold to punch even the 1st hole. Basically the auger would start to spin and the motor would cut out after an inch or two. Dead.

We ran into the same issue with an Ion last week up on Mille Lacs during additional testing. The temps were roughly 25 degrees. The Ion would not cut a complete hole through 2.5' of ice without shutting down multiple times. Again... cold battery.

This is an issue any manufacturer will need to overcome if the plan is to use lithium ion batteries to power the auger.

The idea is a good one for those looking for an auger to punch a limited number of holes. They'll never replace gas augers but there is a market for this type of product. From what I've seen there's some serious R&D yet to be done before I'd consider a Li powered auger ready for wide spread use." -James Holts

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/1213175/fpart/1/

·
Registered
71 Posts
***UPDATE FROM THE MILE ON 12/14/13***

The auger worked flawlessly. We drilled 30 holes, ice depth between 6-8" on one battery.

I do like this auger, the real test will be when the Mile has 3+ feet and it's super cold out. We will take better care this year though with keeping the bettery warm when not using it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts