Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
That auger bit looks like my Eskimo Barracuda only green. Moras have the same design too, only blue. I think the only innovation is in the powerhead. I do like that though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I found this older thread and thought I'd toss a review out on the Ion for anyone thinking about getting one. We have a place on Granby so I took my Ion out a few weeks ago along with my Jiffy 10" gas auger with freshly sharpened blades. It was 5 below when we left the cabin and didn't get above 15 degrees by the time we quit after 7 hours or so.

I did take the battery out between drillings and put it in a fleece/neoprene bag inside the sled. Ion advertises that it will drill 40 holes through 24" of ice on one charge which we pretty much knew wouldn't happen under day long fishing conditions. It did drill 56 holes through 10" of Granby ice which was better than I expected. Cutting performance was better than expected too. It just chewed through the ice and didn't hang up cutting that last 1/2". We ran it side by side with the 10" gas auger and it was quite a bit quicker everytime. And I didn't have a sore back or gas on my gloves from drilling so many holes.

It comes with a 12" extension that we left off which made it even lighter and easier to tote around. It does take some getting used to the 8" hole, but overall I'm very pleased with the purchase. I'll see how it continues to perform and may buy an extra battery for next year so I can stop taking the gas as a backup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one and have been using it all season with no problems.... I did break the rubber piece that holds on the battery but a piece of 2 sided velcro took care of that. The ice around 30 inches thick at 11 mile and it rips right through it.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I LIKE My "Ice gator"...a similar concept unit. Not much in the weight advantage vs gas auger at @ 27 lbs, but no gassy mess.
AND... I'm fishin while My Buddies are still pullin'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts