Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My iPilot remote doesn't seem to turn on. I have tried three different batteries. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to fix it short of buying a new one?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sound like the master of the obvious, but are you sure all the batteries are exactly the recommended battery or providing the required amps? Alot of batteries are close to same size is the only reason for asking. Also, what model trolling motor do you have and when was it purchased? Some have different remotes than others is the reason im asking. Minnkota has a good customer service and there are some places that will work on out of warranty units. My friend just had the electronic board go on his ultrex after some water fried it. $300 later it was fixed. Personally i would exhaust options like talking to minnkota first, i also noticed alot of very knowledgable walleye fosherman on walleye central that can offer great advice and trouble shooting, and finding someone locally that works on these trolling motors before buying a new remote. I have read posts on forums in the past of similar issue and got new remotes from minnkota under warranty and it didnt fix the problem. Luckily, ive had no issues with my terrova. But have had my unit seemingly lost communication with the remote, but unplugged my tm and fixed the problem. Lastly, do you have the foot pedal you can try to see if the tm operates as it should without using the remote. Mine came with a foot pedal also only reason i ask which may help isolate the problem. Hope you get it fogured out.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try bending the tabs up where the battery sits in the compartment.
Next on my list. Traveling until Thursday.
And as simple as checking that the polarity is right.
Good thought, but that is not the problem.
Not sound like the master of the obvious, but are you sure all the batteries are exactly the recommended battery or providing the required amps? Alot of batteries are close to same size is the only reason for asking. Also, what model trolling motor do you have and when was it purchased? Some have different remotes than others is the reason im asking. Minnkota has a good customer service and there are some places that will work on out of warranty units. My friend just had the electronic board go on his ultrex after some water fried it. $300 later it was fixed. Personally i would exhaust options like talking to minnkota first, i also noticed alot of very knowledgable walleye fosherman on walleye central that can offer great advice and trouble shooting, and finding someone locally that works on these trolling motors before buying a new remote. I have read posts on forums in the past of similar issue and got new remotes from minnkota under warranty and it didnt fix the problem. Luckily, ive had no issues with my terrova. But have had my unit seemingly lost communication with the remote, but unplugged my tm and fixed the problem. Lastly, do you have the foot pedal you can try to see if the tm operates as it should without using the remote. Mine came with a foot pedal also only reason i ask which may help isolate the problem. Hope you get it fogured out.
Lots to look at here.

The remote battery is the same as what I pulled out. The ones I tried to replace were from the same lot. Maybe I wil try another lot.

I'll drag the foot pedal out of storage and try it. But I don't get anything on the remote, so I don't think that is the problem.

Trying Minnekota CS will be on the list as well.

Thanks for the advice all.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions. Once I get back from chasing birds I will dive in a little deeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
My remote wouldn’t work this weekend. Replaced battery with my spare I keep in the boat. Still nothing...

Grabbed my voltmeter when I got home. 3.02 volts, new new battery 3.26 volts.
Popped it in an sure enough, remote woke up. I’m betting a fresh battery fixes yours right up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts