Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going over to Colorado last week of September and heading off fishing for a week from Durango making my way up to Denver over 6 days.
So far the the internet, google has not been much help too many places to fish!! I fly fish in Ireland for trout/salmon and want to experience the best of what Colorado has to offer in terms of fly fishing, national parks possibly hiking and a few beers. I know I dont have much time so I need to be selective any advice would be great.
I would prefer to fish medium size rivers I am bringing my rod and reel only?
Thank you Warren

·
Registered
24,553 Posts
Come on guys help him out I dont fly fish...I work with an Irishman and he says he needs help all the time!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
The gunnison should be kickin' for Kokanee salmon, and everything that's chasing them eating their eggs. Taylor should be the same way too.

In fall here, the brown trout start running out of the bigger lakes and spawning. From there you got a lot to choose from. The blue above green mountain res will be good for both kokes, and browns. Also look at elevenmile and the dream stream as well. I'm sure someone will chime in and offer some more definitive advice since I'm an ******* spin caster... Not a fly guy, but I hope that helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What route are you taking ? Going north and catching i70 or staying south ? That will let us know where to point ya along the way.

·
Registered
592 Posts
All the rivers should be fishing well that time of year-Gunnison, Rio Grande, anywhere on the Arkansas, the Colorado around State Bridge, Fraser, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, Eagle. The Dream Stream will be slammed, that's about the only place I wouldn't go...

A 5 or 6wt will get it done pretty much anywhere in Colorado. It would help to know your travel plans for the week...

·
Registered
342 Posts
All the rivers should be fishing well that time of year-Gunnison, Rio Grande, anywhere on the Arkansas, the Colorado around State Bridge, Fraser, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork, Eagle. The Dream Stream will be slammed, that's about the only place I wouldn't go...

A 5 or 6wt will get it done pretty much anywhere in Colorado. It would help to know your travel plans for the week...
Start with the Animas in Durango and then this info^. Plenty of great beer along your entire trip too. Almost all of the breweries have tasting rooms and they are very easy to Google, unlike the secret fishing holes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you like big fish on tailwaters with crowds, drop down to the San Juan for a day, then continue back onto hwy 160 and east - stop in South Fork and catch the Rio Grande, then to Alamosa and up 285 to the Arkansas, then to hwy 24 to the Spinney/eleven mile area, then on into Colorado Springs and Denver.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Here's a thought...As mentioned, you can start with the Animas..From there on over to Silverton and then Red Mountain Pass. You can check out the Unc below Ridgeway Reservoir. Next on over to Montrose and the East Portal of the Black Canyon..After that you could head on up towards Gunnison and fish the Gunny and then on over towards Crested Butte and the Taylor. Drive up and over Cottonwood Pass into Buena Vista..You could fish the Ark..but I'd head on over to Twin Lakes and Independence Pass. Take the pass over to Aspen and you can now fish the Roaring Fork, The Crystal, The Frying Pan..and/or the Colorado. From there head east on 70 to Vail..You could fish Gore Creek at the golf course in Vail before heading to Breckenridge..At Breck take Boreas Pass on over to 285 ..head east on 285 to Pine and then cruise on down to the South Platte near Deckers.. From Deckers it's just a short drive to Denver.

You'll see some fantastic scenery on this route and you'll have your choice of quality rivers. The changing Aspens should be at their peak.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
An alternative route if you choose not to go over Cottonwood and Independence Pass ...also very beautiful.. would be to fish the Taylor and then backtrack to Crested Butte and take county road 12 to 133 into the Carbondale/Aspen/ Glenwood area..From there you can choose to take Independence Pass or 70 on your way to Breckenridge..

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Here's a thought...As mentioned, you can start with the Animas..From there on over to Silverton and then Red Mountain Pass. You can check out the Unc below Ridgeway Reservoir. Next on over to Montrose and the East Portal of the Black Canyon..After that you could head on up towards Gunnison and fish the Gunny and then on over towards Crested Butte and the Taylor. Drive up and over Cottonwood Pass into Buena Vista..You could fish the Ark..but I'd head on over to Twin Lakes and Independence Pass. Take the pass over to Aspen and you can now fish the Roaring Fork, The Crystal, The Frying Pan..and/or the Colorado. From there head east on 70 to Vail..You could fish Gore Creek at the golf course in Vail before heading to Breckenridge..At Breck take Boreas Pass on over to 285 ..head east on 285 to Pine and then cruise on down to the South Platte near Deckers.. From Deckers it's just a short drive to Denver.

You'll see some fantastic scenery on this route and you'll have your choice of quality rivers. The changing Aspens should be at their peak.
THIS!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
If starting in Durango, I think it would be a good idea to fish the San Juan in New Mexico. Easy to wade, nice weather, great fishing, but can be very crowded but there is always a vacant hole to fish.

PS just 1 hour away from Durango.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I hear the San Juan is not as good as it used to be. I've never been there, can anyone comment?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I hear the San Juan is not as good as it used to be. I've never been there, can anyone comment?
That depends on what you mean "not as good as it used to be".

Is it as good as it was ten years ago? Yes
Is it as good as it was twenty years ago? Yes
Is it as good as it was thirty years ago? No, but that is because no one fished it then.

Out of Durango you have the San Juan and Animas rivers as mentioned. You also have the Piedra, Upper San Juan, Dolores, and about a billion creeks. Durango also has Ska Brewing, Steamworks Brewing, Durango Brewing Co, Carvers Brewing, and one new one I am forgetting right now.

PM me if you need any more local Durango info. Good luck and Godspeed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The San Juan depends on stocked fish, which live long enough to forget they were stocked and get huge. If you happen to go quickly after the stocking truck, you will think there is nothing there but little fish, as they jump in ahead of the old timers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts