Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to ice fishing . Hearing metro ice is thin but safe... is it true that four inches is safe?

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
You can call the ranger station at barr and ask..

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
They will never tell you it's safe. Even if it's a foot of ice. Your best bet is to go out with an experienced ice fisherman, with all of the proper safety gear. Take a spud bar, and check the ice before you get on, and then a few more times as you're going out.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Not Barr but other metro ice was singing and cracking yesterday. It was still 3-4" but probably won't last long if this warm weather continues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I talked to the ranger this morning she said they do not think it is safe 3 1/2 to 4" . But there were people on the ice yesterday. I couldn't afford the spud bar yesterday... I will get one next paycheck ...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Lots of options for a DIY spud bar Smallz.

Something heavy and pointy to "poke" the ice.

Do a Google search for ideas.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I talked to the ranger this morning she said they do not think it is safe 3 1/2 to 4" . But there were people on the ice yesterday. I couldn't afford the spud bar yesterday... I will get one next paycheck ...
Like I said, they won't ever tell you it's "safe".

3-1/2 - 4" is plenty, if it's still clear hard ice. I was with a friend at Cherry Creek on Sunday. He tested the ice before he got on in one area, and it was 4" thick, but cloudy, with a lot of air bubbles. It was very "soft" ice and not good for walking on. We fished another area that had 4-5" of very hard, clear ice.

Good luck out there.

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
bet it doesn't have the same opportunities as Fordo's stocker trips!!! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went out in Barr this after noon and found spots where the ice was four to five inches thick, plenty of tracks and holes on it.. ranger said perch and bluegill were hitting ...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Went out in Barr this after noon and found spots where the ice was four to five inches thick, plenty of tracks and holes on it.. ranger said perch and bluegill were hitting ...
And???????? You're killing me Smallz....

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Lol barr isn't a big secret. Even if it's safe you still have to catch those finicky effing fish.

With that said I won't go back till after this upcoming cold snap. The chinooks the last 3 days has probably turned that Ice to ****.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Actually I was just being an ass and had some fun with his screen name. I know what I need to know about Barr.... Pays to have a few friends.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Not drained. Was out on the 1st and edges were thin but at least 5 inches once you get out a few feet. Mostly crappie with a few largemouth and one
small walleye. Walked out maybe 400 yards on west side.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts