• No Opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question I have is, has the improved water levels affected your quality of fishing for 2005?  Where do you fish and how do you feel the quality is compared to 2004.

For me since I primarily fish Chatfield I have found things a little perplexing at times.  I began to regulary fish Chatfield 3 years ago and every year except this the water levels were down several feet.  Now with a full recreation pool the fish aren't always where I expected them to be.

The quality of fishing has not changed for me but I have had to be more creative and search more for the fish.  How has it been for you?

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Re: Is Fishing better in 2005 than 2004?

I guess for me I cant really say. This is the first year ive fished from a boat. Its a whole new ball game.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

I think the rising water levels make the fish a little harder to find-the water has been down for so long on most of my lakes here around CS I got used to it. But in the long run its gotta help. Ed

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

I have notice with the higher water levels a change in where the fish are feeding...after a few years of allowing small shrubbery to grow where the lake shores once were and now as the lakes fill up that vegetation is making a great habitat for bait species. Where the bait is the fish will follow. I am no expert at 11mile like some of you guys however you all know 2 years ago how far down it was you could almost walk .5 miles (or more) from the normal west shorline to where the water was, now in 2005 it is full!!!!....All I hear now is what great fishing there is on the west side of lake and that the fish are stacked up there more then other parts of 11 mile....Why is this???? I think partly it is because now the bait species have migrated to the new more fertile side that has more cover now and the fish have followed...just my theory...

TH

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

I have notice with the higher water levels a change in where the fish are feeding...after a few years of allowing small shrubbery to grow where the lake shores once were and now as the lakes fill up that vegetation is making a great habitat for bait species. Where the bait is the fish will follow. I am no expert at 11mile like some of you guys however you all know 2 years ago how far down it was you could almost walk .5 miles (or more) from the normal west shorline to where the water was, now in 2005 it is full!!!!....All I hear now is what great fishing there is on the west side of lake and that the fish are stacked up there more then other parts of 11 mile....Why is this???? I think partly it is because now the bait species have migrated to the new more fertile side that has more cover now and the fish have followed...just my theory...

TH

·
Registered
6,542 Posts

It's to early to tell? THe best fishing is a couple of months away ;)

L

·
0 Posts

the higher water has definatley dispersed the fish more. been fishing granby, green mountain, williams fork and jefferson and have found it harder to find concentrations of fish. think i got a little spoiled with the low water. used to think i was good now just average at best.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fishing has been much better at local reservoirs around here , and so far trout fishing in the rivers isn't quite as good but now that the water is prime it should be even better since in the drought the colorado was so muddy. Now it is clear!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
In my opinion, the best fishing is when the lakes and reservoirs are drained. All the rain and snow we got this year will definitely improve the fishing for the next years though.

D

·
0 Posts
Depends on the lake. Pueblo has been way better. Glendo has not. Regardless, I am happy to see more water.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
but i think when the water levels go back up it will thin the fish out
but they will have new forage to eat and i think it will take a while but we should get some nice fish out of this drought
when it is over

·
Registered
16,559 Posts
When 11-mile first dropped the fishing was fantastic!Over the next year and a half it steadily declined.Now that its full the fishing is fantastic again.So when these full reservoirs drop again,all those big fat fish will be easier to catch. And so it goes.So far I'm doing better this year than last,and its only half over!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Just happy to see more water, overall. The fishing has been a little better at some lakes. At others, I had to do a lot of moving around. The big picture looks better with more water though, if ya know what I mean.

F

·
0 Posts
the only thing that has been effecting my local fishing is the number of people moving into colorado and ponds that I never see anyone at are starting to get crowded...other then that about the same If im not doing good where im fishing I move and move and move ....and if i have to Ill stop off at the bluegill pond so I dont get a skunk for the day ...I have lost a couple really big fish though and its been eating at me ...oh well for the ones ive lost ive caught some nice ones

·
Registered
296 Posts
since jan 1 2005 i personally have caught more and bigger fish than i have in the past i dont know if the water has any thing to do with it or if i am just getting better

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bigbrown46 said:
since jan 1 2005 i personally have caught more and bigger fish than i have in the past i dont know if the water has any thing to do with it or if i am just getting better
I say you are getting better! :)

Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
THIS IS THE FIRST YEAR I HAVE CAUGHT CATFISH IN ABOUT 5 YEARS SO I WOULD SAY ITS DEFINATELY BETTER

·
Registered
472 Posts
I lost a few great spots in 2005....

In 2003 I made a list of all my fishing spots and broke them into a top 5 catagory. My main factors would be; 1. quality and number of fish caught, 2. Amount of pressure, trash and other un-desireables, 3. additional stocking/management assistance beyond my own personal inventment. All of these are local bass spots that I intended on publishing some limited works on in one form or another.

in 2005, 3 out of 5 have been absolutely devestated. Pre-spawn/spawn observations showed a dramatic decrease in fish and the bassin' action dropped accordingly.

My #1 spot decreased 60%, My #2 spot was slightly less affected and dropped 50%. #3 still held fish but was seriously hampered by extra pressue. #4 held its own and even bounced back a little due to the extra water levels but the adding of aquathenol for weed control slowed the bass action considerably. #5 was closed by the controlling agency for renovation.

There are a lot of other factors as well. Too many to mention here both natural and result of human impact. That's just the way it goes. Some spots turn up and others may "bust" depending on conditions. The good news is that this has forced me outside my traditional scouting range and onto new waters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts