Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a well experienced spin fisherman - but I am very new to flyfishing, I know the basics and took a workshop to learn the ropes...

I picked up a few Wooley Buggers and some leaders/tippets, and was considering practicing at a few local ponds where I constantly see Carp surfacing - think this would be a good way to practice?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Carp are not the easiest to catch, especially if you are new to fly fishing. I think it can be more challenging than fishing for trout at times. But don't let that keep you away from trying. You want them to be feeding, with their tails up. If they are cruising, they more than likely will not aggressively take your fly. There are more and more people who are carp fishing these days and since they can usually be found in town or in most bodies of water, they are a low cost option. Make sure you have enough stick to land them though. You might need to upgrade if you have a 4-5 wt rod. depending on their size. I usually use an 8wt rod.

Juan

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juan Ramirez said:
Carp are not the easiest to catch, especially if you are new to fly fishing. I think it can be more challenging than fishing for trout at times. But don't let that keep you away from trying. You want them to be feeding, with their tails up. If they are cruising, they more than likely will not aggressively take your fly. There are more and more people who are carp fishing these days and since they can usually be found in town or in most bodies of water, they are a low cost option. Make sure you have enough stick to land them though. You might need to upgrade if you have a 4-5 wt rod. depending on their size. I usually use an 8wt rod.

Juan
Thanks for your input - I don't know anything about flyfishing for carp, I just figured they be easy practice, but doesn't sound like it ???

I have a 9.5ft 6 weight rod

These wouldn't be record carp or anything, just typical 20inch carp

The other day I saw multiple carp "boiling" they were swimming in circles with multiple other carp, you could see their fins, not sure if they were feeding or spawning. Figured a well placed fly would be fish in a barrel like that :D

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Carp that are balled up on the surface probably have something other that food on their minds.

Like Juan said, find fish that are feeding, with their tails in the air. The game is to put the fly close enough so they can see it, but not so close that it spooks them when it hits the water.

Hint: They will chase prey that is running away from them(I have had carp chase flies down from 5+ feet away), but they seem to be really wary of prey coming toward them. It seems unnatural, and they are pretty damned smart fish.

They also feed on bugs and seeds/crap on the surface, but that is an even more maddening game. Get after 'em on the bottom first!

Good luck....Have fun....they can make you a little crazy. ;D

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
don't fish for them unless they are feeding, you will save much time and frustration if you do this. the 6 wt will be fine for most fish under 10 pounds when the water warms. I got one the other day and it was a log, no real fight in the colder water. I almost always target them on the surface. I don't think there is a body of water where they have started to spawn in CO yet. If they are clooping(feeding on the surface in groups with the mouths open) this time of year, go small, size 16 dries will do, terestrials are a good bet too. Carp are oportunistic, so they have no real feeding agenda and will eat available food. Keep that in mind, but don't throw anything at them, match what they see on a daily basis...keep after it, carp can be maddedning. I hooked and lost 8 carp before I could figure out how to deal with them and land a fish taht big.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Koldkut said:
don't fish for them unless they are feeding, you will save much time and frustration if you do this. the 6 wt will be fine for most fish under 10 pounds when the water warms. I got one the other day and it was a log, no real fight in the colder water. I almost always target them on the surface. I don't think there is a body of water where they have started to spawn in CO yet. If they are clooping(feeding on the surface in groups with the mouths open) this time of year, go small, size 16 dries will do, terestrials are a good bet too. Carp are oportunistic, so they have no real feeding agenda and will eat available food. Keep that in mind, but don't throw anything at them, match what they see on a daily basis...keep after it, carp can be maddedning. I hooked and lost 8 carp before I could figure out how to deal with them and land a fish taht big.
Thanks for the insight - sounds challenging actually. Should I be targeting something easier to catch as a beginner?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts